Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Cap One cards?

tag
seap74
Established Member

Combining Cap One cards?

I have 3 cap one platinum cards, I would like to combine the one with the worst rata and annual fee to one of the others with better terms and cash back. BUT, this card is the only one that does not have any late payments. During a rough patch 2 years ago I missed 2-3 payments on the other 2 cards. 

Would it be a bad idea to combine the good account into one of the others with better AFs, lower interest rates, and cash back? Or would it hurt my score to close the only one that has never had a derog?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining Cap One cards?

Don't think it'd make a difference either way. The derogs will stay on report for the next 7 years if they are part of an open or closed account
Message 2 of 6
seap74
Established Member

I guess i didn't make things very clear. The account I want to close would be the only one that didn't have any derogs. But it has the worst terms, AF, APR. I would like to combine it with one of the other ones that has better terms, but has had the derogs.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the annual fee to keep this open since it has no derogs at all.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Won't make a difference score wise. But when I call Cap One for misc things one thing I notice is they only have the particular account you are calling about on their screen.  When I mention another account, they they have to pull it up manually. So that being said, I would want the account that is perfect to be the active account.  Let the one with derogs fall off in time and keep the good one open. Just my 2 cents.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Won't make a difference score wise. But when I call Cap One for misc things one thing I notice is they only have the particular account you are calling about on their screen.  When I mention another account, they they have to pull it up manually. So that being said, I would want the account that is perfect to be the active account.  Let the one with derogs fall off in time and keep the good one open. Just my 2 cents.

With apologies, I have to disagree with this one - the derogs will stay with you ragardless of whether or not the account is open, so...dump the AF and the higher rate!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With apologies, I have to disagree with this one - the derogs will stay with you ragardless of whether or not the account is open, so...dump the AF and the higher rate!

Yeah it won't matter either way so it's best to go with the better APR like I did. I had 3 cap one cards. Card 1 had 3 derogatories and a 10% APR, card 2 had 1 derog and card 3 had none. (All these derogatory marks are from 2010 and 2013). I combined them all into the card 1 with the 10% APR (the other two cards had 17%-22% APR). The other two cards are marked as closed now since they were combined... BUT card 2 is still counting against me even though it's closed and I'm assuming it will until 7 years or so. So regardless of if it's opened or close, all derogatory marks will still hurt you. So do yourself the favor and take the card that benefits you most (meaning go for the low APR).

And there has been no time that I've contacted Capital One (chat or phone) in which they pointed out old derogatory marks. If you're account is in good standing, then it is in good standing. 

Hope that example helps Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.