Combining Cap1 accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining Cap1 accounts

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great advice, UncleB! I will wait for my chance to ask for a CLI on both before merging.

One question that I do have though, can I PC my Venture into a QS and then ask to merge both cards in one phone call? Or should I space out the request for PC and the request for the merge?

My current QS is 22.9% while my Venture is at 17.9%. I've heard that it's easier pulling teeth than it is to ask Cap One for a lower APR, hence my wanting to PC Venture into QS (lower APR + no AF).

You definitely have the right idea!  Smiley Wink

While there is evidence of the occasional permanent APR reduction from Capital One, the handful of cases all reported going through the EO, and most folks (myself included) aren't going to go to that much trouble for an APR reduction on an account that is normally PIF each month anyway.  (Note:  I'm talking about permanent reductions here, not a 6-month temporary reduction that the front-line CSRs often offer folks - those are actually quite common).

The PC on your Venture will have to be done via CSR (either on the phone or chat) while the account combination is only available online (I know... it makes no sense to me either).  If it were me, I would PC the Venture right before the AF came due (so you can maximize your rewards), then do the actual combination after you had a chance to get a CLI on each account.  Once the Venture is PC to a QS, there's no urgency since both of your cards will be no-AF then. 

That being said, some folks prefer to not wait too long, since the combine feature has been unpredictable at times... you'll have to make that judgement call for yourself.  In my case, I'm choosing to wait, and if by some chance they pull the feature and combination isn't an option in June, I'll just close the QS1 anyway to avoid the AF.  The CL on my QS Visa is quite usable as it is, and while the 'combined' credit line would be nice for utilization, in my case it's not a show-stopper.

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the advice! You're right, there really isn't any rush to combine accounts if I can successfully PC my Venture to QS. I'll continue to wait it out as I don't plan to carry balances on either cards and there will be no AF, so no harm, really! Smiley Happy I will make sure to ask for the CLI's before considering the merge. Thanks again, UncleB!

OP, my apologies for hijacking your thread. My question felt in-line with yours, and I didn't think I should start a new thread for a question similar to yours Smiley Wink

HAHA - no problem!! I've learned lots from the additional discussion on this thread!! Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 37
jeffery581
Established Contributor

re 

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a wasn't referring to what folks "feel" is prime vs. sub-prime, she was referring to the product offerings of Capital One.

If you look at their website, their current prime cards (Venture and Quicksilver) only come as Visa for new card holders.  Their sub-prime offerings only come as MasterCards, again to new card holders.

It has nothing to do with the 'perception' of either brand, it's just how Capital One has chosen to split their own products.  While you can get a 'World' MasterCard with Capital One through a series of PC and CLIs, you can't apply for it (with the notable exception of their co-branded cards, i.e. the GM card). 

I have no idea why Capital One chose to do this, but there was likely a financial reason or else they would let folks select which brand they preferred, like many banks did back in 'the old days' (and a few still do).

gotcha i misunderstood

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it matter which card has the zero balance? Hubby will be combining his QS1 into the QS, and I want to make sure the right card has no balance. I actually plan on both cards being zero but just in case that doesn't happen.
Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card you're getting rid of needs zero balance.
Message 34 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
The card you're getting rid of needs zero balance.

+1.  This exactly ^^^^  Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought but I kept reading 'one needs to have a zero balance' so I figured I'd make sure
Message 36 of 37
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Never hurts to make sure!!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.