cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Capital One Cards - Good Idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining Capital One Cards - Good Idea?

I have two Cap One cards. One has been open since 2006 - $5 monthly fee.

One has been open since 2014 - no monthly fee/annual fee.

I have the option to combine the cards online. I have called Capital One and asked if they can either upgrade my Platinum Card to a card with no fees - they can upgrade it to a Quicksilver but it will still have a $5 monthly fee. Or I can combine it into my newer card, maintain the combined credit limit, and have no monthly fee.

Question is...if I do this, will it hurt me to close a card that has been open for 10 years credit score wise? I'm working on rebuilding my credit so I don't want to do something to hurt me, but I also do not want to keep paying $5 a month for nothing.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
nrm
Frequent Contributor

Re: Combining Capital One Cards - Good Idea?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two Cap One cards. One has been open since 2006 - $5 monthly fee.

One has been open since 2014 - no monthly fee/annual fee.

I have the option to combine the cards online. I have called Capital One and asked if they can either upgrade my Platinum Card to a card with no fees - they can upgrade it to a Quicksilver but it will still have a $5 monthly fee. Or I can combine it into my newer card, maintain the combined credit limit, and have no monthly fee.

Question is...if I do this, will it hurt me to close a card that has been open for 10 years credit score wise? I'm working on rebuilding my credit so I don't want to do something to hurt me, but I also do not want to keep paying $5 a month for nothing.

Thanks 

If you care about your credit profile, then that $5.00 is not really for nothing. If not, then go for the one without fee. If I were you, I would keep paying $5.00 for a few months more, then call CARP ONE again to negotiate, using the backdoor numbers.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.