Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Cards....Good Idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining Cards....Good Idea?

I have a question about credit cards with the same companies. 

Here is some info. on what I am asking about:

• Two capital one cards with $500 limit on each
  • Two Citi Cards:
    • One has $500 limit
    • One has $1600 limit

Would it be a good idea to combine these cards?  Would this affect my score - either in a positive or negative way?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining Cards....Good Idea?

When it comes to scores   FICO takes the total amount of your CL on all CC and total UTIL from all CC. So it doesn't matter how many cards that you have with any CCC.

If you are paying a yearly fee on them...Then I would see if the CCC will combine the 2 and keep the combined total CL.

FICO likes to see Bal $0  on some cards and Bal under 10% on others.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would not affect scores generally. But it would change your ratio of how many cards you have. If they are older cards, I'd not do it. If newer you can combine the newer one in to the older one. Sure I've done that lots of times since the higher CL helped me.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a theory... I agree, depends on how old the card is. Like the last poster said combine the new into the older if you can. I've noticed that if all you have on your reports in 300 500 limits thats what newer card approvals will go with, but if they see limits over 1000 or 1500 then they go with that range. At least thats what happened to me personally. Know what I mean? You ever see people that have cards in the 8K and 10K range and when they app and post their results they may get 9K or 11K card limit...
Message 4 of 11
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Good point Ash! 

I combined HSBC cards twice this year since they keep giving me a measly $300.00 Discover Rewards card!  Went from an initial line of $1600.00 to $2200.00 in a couple of months.  I am hoping that since all of my bank cards are over $1000.00 (not that I am applying for any other within the next year unless I get an incredible pre-approval) that my future CLs start at least at $2500.00.
*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 5 of 11
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

06valdosta wrote:

• Two Citi Cards:
    • One has $500 limit
    • One has $1600 limit

Would it be a good idea to combine these cards?  Would this affect my score - either in a positive or negative way?

If you combine the 1600 card to the 500 card you will have a 2100 card and also, Capital One will still report the 1600 account as open with a 0 balance. 
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 6 of 11
heirophant
Established Contributor

unknown_entity wrote:

06valdosta wrote:

• Two Citi Cards:
    • One has $500 limit
    • One has $1600 limit

If you combine the 1600 card to the 500 card you will have a 2100 card and also, Capital One will still report the 1600 account as open with a 0 balance. 

Yeah, I have noticed it on my report.  The card has zero balance and still reports as open.  How long will they report it open?
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 7 of 11
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

I would think that it would remain open until the other associated account was closed.
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 8 of 11
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@unknown_entity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
  • Two Citi Cards:
    • One has $500 limit
    • One has $1600 limit

Would it be a good idea to combine these cards? Would this affect my score - either in a positive or negative way?

If you combine the 1600 card to the 500 card you will have a 2100 card and also, Capital One will still report the 1600 account as open with a 0 balance.

I can vouch for this. I combined and the old TL still reports as open also.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have 2 options. Move credit lines. I do this when ever I need more spending power and the bank won't do a CLI. If I have 2 or more cards with the same bank I ask them to merge the credit to one card. This does not close the card and I can move it back when ever I want.

Consolidation is when you ask them to move the credit and then close the card. You can request them to close it too if you want.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.