Did you mean: 

Combining Chase Cards? Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining Chase Cards? Help!

@woodyman100 wrote:
If the card has zero activity for 90 days, they should approve the combination

Thanks for this. I was trying to remember the guideline I'd read. 

Message 11 of 18
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:
I'm not sure another app is a good idea. OP's credit profile doesn't look very strong, else Chase wouldn't have given $500 limit. Also, remember Chase has a 5/24 rule. If you have got more than 5 cards in the last 24 months then a new app with them will result in a straight denial.

OP, have you used the Slate at all? Chase used to have a policy of moving the entire limit out if (a) the balance is $0 and (b) no transaction has happened for the last 30 days. It has been a while for me. But if you satisfy those two criteria then you should send them a secure message saying you satisfy those two criteria and that they should let you merge the full account.

If they still don't budge (which they can if they recently changed their policies), you might have to wait to get a CLI on the card.

Actually, my credit profile is much stronger than it was when Chase gave me a $2000 CL with Freedom in September.  And I was expecting a similar limit on the Slate, which was the only reason I applied - was intending to do some balance transfers. When I saw that $500 limit, I knew it would not help me, so I app'd right away, the same day again with Wells Fargo and got instantly approved for $3500.  So I don't think my credit is the issue. I think that Chase is being weird!  And no, I *just* got it in the mail and have not used it. 

Got it. They might want you to activate it in the first place.

Anyway when I merged my $1k Slate to my then $1k Freedom, I had the Slate open for little less than 6 months and had no transactions for a bit over a month, I think. That was good enough for them to move all of my Slate to the Freedom. You might want to send them an SM asking for clarification on the "X-no of days, no transactions" rule. 

As another poster mentioned, it is probably 90 days now. Given that $500 is pretty much worthless to you on a standalone card, it's not going to be difficult to SD it for a while. For whatever reason, Chase doesn't want to extend you a larger line, so asking for either a CLI or a new card (you're right about waiting for CSP) won't get anything.

Message 12 of 18
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

See, OP, I knew others would jump in.Loads of great advice Good decison to wait given the current factors plus you wanting the mortgage I think your in a good place right now while you work on GW deletions..
I wish you the best....

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone! I guess I will try again in 90 days if I can't get more info out of them. If I ever get it to work, I will update this thread!

Thanks again for your help!Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slate is good for the bureau monitoring. Few companies provide that one free. Put 60 bux on it every month and pif. You might get rewarded
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

*\0/*   Guess who now has a $2500 Freedom and a closed Slate?  That's right, ME!!!  

It only took 2 secure messages, 2 phone calls, and being transferred to 4 different people before someone finally sent me to Lending, and she did it in like 2 seconds. She was like, "I have no idea why they couldn't do it...." lol.  YAY!!!!!  

Thanks again guys! Happy ending to this saga! 

Message 16 of 18
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Congrats 2 ya!!!!!!!

Glad all worked out well for ya.....Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@9CLINE wrote:

Congrats 2 ya!!!!!!!

Glad all worked out well for ya.....Smiley Very Happy

Thank you!  AND, best part?  With both inquires and also the new trade (WF) already reporting, my scores did not drop, and actually went up again.  Experian has now broken into the 700s with a 703!  Woohooo!  Getting somewhere now! 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.