Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Chase cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining Chase cards

I closed a Chase Freedom card and kept my CSP for prestige.  I combined limits after having both for years.  I'm not too impressed with metal cards anymore, especially not ones with annual fees.

I was pre-approved and now have a Freedom Unlimited card.

How long do I have to wait to combine limits and close the CSP?

I now have a CapOne Venture One and am looking to close my Sam's Club MC for the same annual renewal fee reason.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining Chase cards

My understanding is that you should be able to move limits immediately. Not certain that they would move the whole amount to close the CSP, but you should be able to get at least all but $500 transferred. It might be possible to get the whole limit moved and close it.
I'm assuming you want the FUtd for the bonus and not wanting to just PC?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long have you had the CSP?  Most people report no problems with dumping the CSP as long as it's open at least 6 months, although just under a year when the AF hits is better.  There have been a few reports from those that have gotten their bonus and dumped the CSP quickly of being hit with AA, but it isn't all too common from what I've read.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the CSP since February of 2015.  To be honest I probably will not even get the bonus for spending $500 in 3 months on this new FU.  So I am not churning.  Trying to go down to just one card per lender with the highest limit and lowest APR (and no annual fees).

Message 4 of 7
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

I was able to move limits immediately with Chase. I applied for a CSP, got the bonus and 4 months later applied for he CSR because it had just been announced. Moved my CSP limit to CSR and closed CSP.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your responses.  I thought I had read around here before how you could move limits as soon as you get a new card.

Suprisingly, I called Citi today looking to cancel my Simplicity card and got transferred to a higher level CSR.  He asked why I wanted to close the card.  Then he went into a sales pitch telling me why I should not close the card.  I asked how long could I go without activity before Citi shuts down the card and he said 25 months.  He let me know I might need it in an emergency.  I told him I was sold and would just not worry about having to use the card just to keep it active.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting information and data point above on Citi basically allowing you to have a card inactive for 2 years without closing it down.  Does anyone out there have a data point to refute what the CSR said above... that is, has anyone had a Citi card closed for inactivity with a time frame smaller than this at some point?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.