Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Household Bank/Orchard Credit Cards

tag
MizzB
Regular Contributor

Combining Household Bank/Orchard Credit Cards

I currently have two low balance cards via HSBC (one Household and one Orchard Bank). I"m considering calling up Household and requesting that the cards be combined into one $1000 card versus two $500.00 cards. Has anyone every tried anything like this with either card. I'd hate to call up and have them cancel my account. My payment hx is good minus a 3 month stint while I was unemployed -- I wish I would have paid for the protection program now. I PIF every month and actively use the cards to pay bills to keep activity on the account. Any thoughts? Is it too risky to ask to have the cards combined? Also, what happens to my AAOA if I combine the card? Does it somehow hurt it?
*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining Household Bank/Orchard Credit Cards

I can tell you a lot of people have done this and majority of people end up having 1 card without the limits combined like you would think you would have. Meaning you want to have 1000 limit ( the 2 put together) I would guess you would get them put together with a 500 limit or something very close to it. In my own research I only found 1 or 2 people who had their limits combined but that was back in 2007. The problem also , I think they show the second card as closed which could hurt your credit score if it was the oldest card you have. I have the form they mailed to me to combine them ( HSBC and Orchardbank) however, I’m reluctant to get my combined limit of 620 turned into 300.   
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining Household Bank/Orchard Credit Cards

I did combined hsbc and orchard last year and got the $1900 CL
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.