Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Bank Credit Cards

tag
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

Re: Comenity Bank Credit Cards

@dddewdrop wrote:

I have similar scores to yours but I didn't get any pre approvals. The reason is that I opted out of getting sent stuff. I would rather be opted out of everything. I feel like opting out keeps big brother a little bit farther away from me. From what I have heard, the Comenity popups depend on the individual firms and getting approved for 1 doesn't make it easier or harder to get others. I would also recommend thinking twice before collecting a bunch of store cards. Many people think it is a good idea at first but then regret it a few months later. All those accounts take work to keep up with and the more cards you have, the more chance for an error or forgotten payment. Most of those store cards don't have as good rewards or cash back as the "prime" cards anyway. I would think twice before collecting store accounts....

Agreed. I'm glad I stopped at 3 store cards and am even now rethinking one of them. Your goals change as you move along in the rebuild process. I don't need or want $30,000 in credit with GECRB. Chase discounts store cards for credit purposes anyway and I'd rather build up my major CCs into useful credit lines.

ETA:

Sorry if that sounded harsh, it wasn't meant that way. Store cards do have a place in rebuilding but don't go crazy with them. It isn't going to help on a manual review to have $30,000 CLs on store cards and $1000 on a major CC. Take your time.

Message 21 of 57
I-got-it-finally
New Contributor

I've had success with Comenity Bank. Its been my experience that they are not very generous with their credit limits. However, they did provide an increase around the nine month mark for one of the cards listed. The following describes my history with them in order of approval.

Ann Taylor:$730 (applied in store, original CL $250- at the nine month mark received increase.)

J Crew:$300(Applied in store)

Z Gallerie:$1500( Instance on-line approval)

Restoration Hardware: $4000( applied on-line. Received a 7-10 day notice. Card came in the mail)

Shopping Card Trick

Victoria Secret: $500 pre-approval( did not apply)

Express: no amount stated(did not apply)

I shop at the stores listed frequently and to-date- I have received excellent customer service. Hope this helps.

Working everyday... to be better and wiser.
Goal: 710-750

Message 22 of 57
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

I just got 6 cards through them Smiley Surprised Way too many I know but i am rebuilding credit and all I had was an FP Mastercard Smiley Sad It is nice to see the word 'approved'. But ugh, stop me now!

Message 23 of 57
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

by the way, does anyone know when these start reporting? within a few days of opening or at the first statement?

Message 24 of 57
Shyone44
Contributor

My Comenity cards started to report about a week after I received them Smiley Wink

Last app 3/21/13
EQ 658 (5/28/13)
TU 608 (5/1/13)
Message 25 of 57
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@Shyone44 wrote:

My Comenity cards started to report about a week after I received them Smiley Wink

awesome Smiley Happy i am excited to see it LOL

Message 26 of 57
ccarson74
New Visitor

Hello, I wanted to know what is cart trick? and how do I go about seeing if I can get approved with these cards since my BK was discharged Nov 29,2012

Message 27 of 57
I-got-it-finally
New Contributor

This thread lists all of thier cards:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comenity-Credit-Card-List/m-p/1852537/highlight/true#M5...

Message 28 of 57
I-got-it-finally
New Contributor

More info:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Which-stores-can-you-do-the-shopping-cart-trick-on/td-p...

Good luck

Message 29 of 57
lovemybabiesx2
Valued Member

I have been rebuilding my husband and my credit over the past year, it's slowly and surely moving up as we are able to pay off baddies and pay off CC's we have.  Goal is to pay off all CC debt by this time next year along with at least 1/2 the baddies.  Our scores went from 490's in July 2011 to 600's July 2012.  Won't pull a new CR until this July but last year I tried applying for store cards and was turned down!

This month I applied to VS and received a $250CL , and Beall's (got a 7-10 notice online then a letter in the mail asking me to verify my info) called # and approved for $250, and a Paypal Smart Connect line of credit for $500, Khols $300 instant online approval. - I have a bankrupcy discharged in 2005 but still shows on my CR- I still have probably 6 collections on my CR, that we are working to pay off.

Hubby was approved for Walmart $600, Amazon $700, VS $350, and Khols $300 - NO bankruptcy on his and only 4 collections we are working on paying off now.  

This was the FIRST time either of us could get approved for GECRB, and Comenity seems fairly easy to be approved but we only applied for a couple cards.  Don't need much and only applied to the stores I shop for us and my kids.  

Besides the ones listed above I have the following :

Cap1 Rewards: $500/$0 bal, USAA secured MC $1600/ $1200bal, AAFES STAR card $3150/$1200 bal, Matrix Discover $300/ $0 balance, BBRZMC $300/ $0 bal, Kay jewelry $1100/ $0 bal, Fingerhut $500/ $0 bal

Hubby has: CapPlat $500/$0 bal, USAA Secured MC $1500/ $1400 bal, AAFES Star card $3000/ $1800 bal, BBRZMC $300/ $0bal, Kay jewelry $4300/ $180 bal, Fingerhut $950/ $100 bal. 

We don't have much in major credit cards which hurts, but hoping these store cards we can cultivate, and also we have a budget to pay off the Secured cards and add more funds to up the credit limits.  

Does anyone know if it would help to get one of the Comenity VISA/MC accts?  or are those still considered "store' cards?

Thanks!

Equifax: 470 ( Lender 7/11) 548 (USAA-7/10/13

Experian: 493 (Lender 7/11) ) 588-USAA 7/10/13

TU: starting- 461 (Lender 7/11), 553-USAA 7/10/13- 647 (Walmart 7/15/13)
Vantage Score: 678
GOAL: FICO 650-690 by 12/2013
Message 30 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.