Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Bank 'Follow-Up' Letter

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Comenity Bank 'Follow-Up' Letter

Sometimes when I'm bored I'll try my luck at the SCT - just to see what happens - even though I don't really intend on following through with obtaining the card (yeah, I know... shame on me).  Usually, other than the standard pop-up offer and a SP by Comenity there's no further follow up... until this time.

Comenity sent me a letter in the mail stating, "...You were recently pre-approved for a J.Crew Credit Card..."

The letter has my "unique prescreen identification number", and tells me I can go to comenity.net/jcrewprescreen, enter the number, and they'll "take care of everything for me".  The letter further states the offer is good for the next 90 days.

This is not a 'bad' thing, just a first for me.  Has anybody else had a similar experience after using (but not taking advantage of) the SCT at a Comenity site, or any other site?

(P.S.  There's nothing wrong with J.Crew, but I tend to wear clothes that are a bit cheaper... LOL.  I would likely never use the card even if I did accept it, which is the case with most of the Comenity cards for me.  I almost went for the Overstock card, but I checked a few items on their site, and each time Amazon beat their price, so they're still a no-go as well.)

Edited to clarify that I did get the pop up offer for the card.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity Bank 'Follow-Up' Letter

I haven't had any luck with SCT working for me. Best of luck!!!
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're patient enough jcrew is actually pretty cheap. I got the schoolboy blazer (nicer material on older version than the recent ones) for about 60 which seems expensive but h&m sells theirs for 30-40 and honestly looks 100% worse. Zara sells some that are pretty nice but it's always 80-100$!! And gap has good ones that if on sale is about 30-40 but still not as nice as the one I got at jcrew.

I've had that one for the past two years working and still looks awesome so I guess if you don't need to be trendy (and can wait for the stuff to go on sale) and prefer a few pieces of good stock than a closet full of variety, jcrews not so bad

What is SCT btw..that's actually why I logged in to reply..lol
Message 3 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
If you're patient enough jcrew is actually pretty cheap. I got the schoolboy blazer (nicer material on older version than the recent ones) for about 60 which seems expensive but h&m sells theirs for 30-40 and honestly looks 100% worse. Zara sells some that are pretty nice but it's always 80-100$!! And gap has good ones that if on sale is about 30-40 but still not as nice as the one I got at jcrew.

I've had that one for the past two years working and still looks awesome so I guess if you don't need to be trendy (and can wait for the stuff to go on sale) and prefer a few pieces of good stock than a closet full of variety, jcrews not so bad

What is SCT btw..that's actually why I logged in to reply..lol

SCT is "Shopping Cart Trick"... it's where you go to a website to make a purchase, and after entering your name and address you get a 'pop-up' offering you a credit card.  If you accept the credit card using this method, it's usually only a SP (soft-pull).  Comenity is specifically known for this, although there are other issuers around that do the same thing.

I'll have to take another look at J. Crew... maybe I was too hasty.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping cart trick never worked when I tried (thank Buddha!) but shops that offers comenity Credit-Cards, they always let me know that in pre-approved for their shop card and ask if I wanna apply for it.

Message 5 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Shopping cart trick never worked when I tried (thank Buddha!) but shops that offers comenity Credit-Cards, they always let me know that in pre-approved for their shop card and ask if I wanna apply for it.

So far the ones I've tried that are Comenity have all worked for me, but I've never actually 'pulled the trigger' and gotten any of the cards.  I know this probably sounds 'strange', but after being shut out of the credit world for so long, it's nice to be "desirable" again!  (LOL)

This being said, I've never gotten any of the non-Comenity ones to work.  Like I mentioned above, I almost took the Overstock one, but when I compared their prices on a few things to Amazon I realized they weren't all that cheap, so I decided I would hold off.  I am slightly interested in Wal-Mart (for the promotional financing) and if I were to get the SCT to work for that one, I'd likely take it... but it never has. 

Since I've been rebuilding the last year or so, my AAoA has taken a hit (I'm now down to about 3.5 years) so I'm being selective in what I app for.  Although, there is a part of me that wants to app for as many cards as I can get, which would kill my AAoA right now, but would make it bullet-proof later on... but that's a conversation for a different thread.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

My take on this is: SCT or not, if you don't need it, you don't need it. Even though SCT has no HP, you still take an AAOA/new account ding. Since you don't shop at J.Crew, you don't have to force yourself to shop there just because you can obtain the card with SCT.

Credit card rewards are meant to go along with our existing spend. Don't force yourself to spend where you don't want/need to just because of a potential new card. It seems deep down you don't really want this card and guess what? That's okay! You don't owe Comenity an app just because they "pre selected" you.

Good luck if you do decide to go for it.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Sometimes when I'm bored I'll try my luck at the SCT - just to see what happens - even though I don't really intend on following through with obtaining the card (yeah, I know... shame on me).  Usually, other than the standard pop-up offer and a SP by Comenity there's no further follow up... until this time.

Comenity sent me a letter in the mail stating, "...You were recently pre-approved for a J.Crew Credit Card..."

The letter has my "unique prescreen identification number", and tells me I can go to comenity.net/jcrewprescreen, enter the number, and they'll "take care of everything for me".  The letter further states the offer is good for the next 90 days.

This is not a 'bad' thing, just a first for me.  Has anybody else had a similar experience after using (but not taking advantage of) the SCT at a Comenity site, or any other site?

(P.S.  There's nothing wrong with J.Crew, but I tend to wear clothes that are a bit cheaper... LOL.  I would likely never use the card even if I did accept it, which is the case with most of the Comenity cards for me.  I almost went for the Overstock card, but I checked a few items on their site, and each time Amazon beat their price, so they're still a no-go as well.)

Yes, it happened to me, with the Modells Visa.

Hit the SCT pop up, did not take it and did not buy anything.  Snail mail brought a letter saying pre-approved.

I was SURE I was smarter than they are, so I stared at it for a couple days.  Their little guy sitting in a cubicle IS actually smarter than me, cause I decided I would go for it.  Again, I am smarter than they are, so I went back in thru the SCT to make sure I got it with a SP, like I did with Overstock and Sportmans Guide Visa.  Again, their cube rat got me, because it was a HP after all.  Impossible to tell if it would have been a SP using the pre-qual mail offer because I cant redo it now.

hth

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Wow, yesterday I received the same pre approval letter from Eddie Bauer.  Just like you, I'm in the garden and at times bored.  I did go into Eddie Bauers website and did the cart trick and got the pop up.  I closed out and went on my merry way, lol!  I received a letter with a pre-screen reference number.  For a hot second I thought I wonder if they would give a higher limit seeing that I received a personal approval letter, but nah I know better!   And I agree as well, Eddie Bauer has great "stuff" but not stuff that would be valuable to me.  Now I do have J Crew CC and I really do like the store but before I got the card, never stepped foot in J Crew.

Message 9 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Wow, yesterday I received the same pre approval letter from Eddie Bauer.  Just like you, I'm in the garden and at times bored.  I did go into Eddie Bauers website and did the cart trick and got the pop up.  I closed out and went on my merry way, lol!  I received a letter with a pre-screen reference number.  For a hot second I thought I wonder if they would give a higher limit seeing that I received a personal approval letter, but nah I know better!   And I agree as well, Eddie Bauer has great "stuff" but not stuff that would be valuable to me.  Now I do have J Crew CC and I really do like the store but before I got the card, never stepped foot in J Crew.

I'm the first to admit it's sorely tempting to 'just do it', but I'm trying to be strong... LOL

After mentioning earlier that there aren't any SCT account stores I'm interested in actually shopping at, I did think of one... Motorola.  I'm currently using a Moto G, and I love it.  At some point I'll likely upgrade to either the Moto X or the Nexus, and Motorola's price is generally competitive with Amazon (where I got my Moto G). 

If I had the Comenity account with Motorola, it would be very convenient when the time comes to buy the replacement, but depending on how generous Comenity is with my approval it might not be enough.  I thought of doing the SCT now, to allow time for a couple of CLIs between now and when I get the replacement.  Then again, I could just get the Amazon store card which also has promotional financing, and would actually still be useful after the phone was paid for.  (But, the Amazon store card would also be a HP... decisions, decisions...)

If only all my problems in life were so trivial... LOL  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.