Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Bank Fraud Flag

tag
MRsolis
Regular Contributor

Comenity Bank Fraud Flag

Last week I had applied for 5 Comenity Bank store cards and was instantly approved. I was excited but it was shortlived.

Today I logged into the accounts and they all have a credit limit of $0. I called the helpline and was told I was flagged for fraud and will have to send in my Drivers license, SSN, and Utility bill within 30 days and this will clear me up so I gathered the information and sent it off but out of curiosity I decided to search if anyone else had this problem and I did find a few different MyFico topics but they didn't really say if it got resolved then I found one that said even though he sent the information to them they still closed his accounts.

In case anyone searches and finds this topic. I did call them and ask them if this is normal and was told if you apply for 6 or more cards within a short time frame then they will require additional ID verification. I was also told that even if my accounts were closed I will not be blacklisted....The CSR advised that after the accounts are closed you just have to wait another 30 days before reapplying with them. That was somewhat of a relief.

The mailing address to their fraud department is:

COMENITY BANK

ATTN: ACCOUNT CONTROL

PO BOX 182686

COLUMBUS, OH 43218-2696

They require:

1) Front and back copy of ID

2) Front and back copy of SS Card

3) Copy of utility bill (Landline, Water, Gas, Electric, or Cable bill) They said cell phone bills cannot be accepted but if you do not have any of those items then you may send a copy of your bank statement

ALL COPIES MUST BE LEGIBLE OR THEY WILL DENY THE VERIFICATION

I was also told that if the address on your ID does not match your current address, they wont automatically deny the verification as long as the utility bill matches but I was told in this case it is best to send two forms of address verification.

After they receive the information then someone will call you to go over the paperwork and ask you some ID verification questions. If they denied some documents they will let you know or if they need more info then they will tell you.

I am very skeptical of things so of course I called 4 different times to speak with different people and their answers were consistent so I trust it to be correct for now.

ANYWHO. I made this topic for two reasons:

1) If anyone has had to go through this process then I would like to know how it went and if it was successful.

2) So I can post my outcome and process incase someone searches this problem in the future and needs an answer since Google/MyFico didn't really give me a difinitive answer

Thank you guys!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity Bank Fraud Flag

Yes, applying for that many card will get you flag with most lenders...  And to answer your question..

I am very skeptical of things so of course I called 4 different times to speak with different people and their answers were consistent so I trust it to be correct for now.

ANYWHO. I made this topic for two reasons:

1) If anyone has had to go through this process then I would like to know how it went and if it was successful - Yes, there is a thread of someone being successful if I can find the thread.  Found the thread..     http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comenity-Accounts-Frozen-for-identity-verification/m-p/...

2) So I can post my outcome and process incase someone searches this problem in the future and needs an answer since Google/MyFico didn't really give me a difinitive answer - Definately post your results as it will help.

Message 2 of 7
MRsolis
Regular Contributor

Bumping to give status update.

Received a call today from phone number 800-888-1726 which identified themeselves as Comenity Bank. They said they had received my documents and that all of my accounts will be reactivated. I had origanlly sent the documents on 06/08 . It will take 24 hours to reactivate and up to 30 days to correct the reporting with the CRA's

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MRsolis wrote:

Received a call today from phone number 800-888-1726 which identified themeselves as Comenity Bank. They said they had received my documents and that all of my accounts will be reactivated. I had origanlly sent the documents on 06/08 . It will take 24 hours to reactivate and up to 30 days to correct the reporting with the CRA's

This is a victory.. Congrats on getting on your account re-activated.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MRsolis wrote:

Good to hear and glad that you got your accounts restored.

Message 5 of 7
MRsolis
Regular Contributor

Thank you guys !! I was worried that I was going to be closed out. Some more info I forgot to mention this was actually a third party company contracted by Comenity to do Id checks I believe they said TrueID. Also the mailing address listed above isn't directly to them they said that once Comenity receives the proof then they forward/mail it to the third party company which is why it takes so long. The lady was very kind and the call was basically just to say that the documents were received and that was that. Let's just hope I do not trigger anythin else with Comenity in the future Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
bobbay
Established Contributor

@MRsolis wrote:

Thank you guys !! I was worried that I was going to be closed out. Some more info I forgot to mention this was actually a third party company contracted by Comenity to do Id checks I believe they said TrueID. Also the mailing address listed above isn't directly to them they said that once Comenity receives the proof then they forward/mail it to the third party company which is why it takes so long. The lady was very kind and the call was basically just to say that the documents were received and that was that. Let's just hope I do not trigger anythin else with Comenity in the future Smiley Happy

TrueID is a LexusNexus product/service

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.