Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Bank close all my Visa/MC Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity Bank close all my Visa/MC Accounts

Hi Guys,

Kind of same thing happened to me but with synchrony bank, I have 3 Synchrony accounts that i openned the same month (September), 3 weeks ago all my accounts were closed and a week later received a letter asking for my consent to do some kind of check up, it was a form so i filled up and sent it back, yesterday i got my accounts back without any problem.

I think all they're doing is some sort of verification and hope you (OP) get your cards back.

Message 61 of 81
fury1995
Valued Contributor

The Experian link was a good read. What I find most interesting is how they market their services to poetential clients. I don't believe for a second Comenity (or any large banks) subscribe to it. No way Comenity is using anyone elses data analytics to determine who of their cardholders is likely to default or "bust out" . they have their own historical data. I don't beleive Comenity would trust a third party to help them determine who have credit lines and how much. A bank as large as Comenity would have their own internal team of forensic accountants and risk managers to safeguard their/our money.

Their own algorithms may have modeling that is similar.. but their risk intentions are pretty clear. That's why so many rebuilders get approved.

There is something else to these closures that we just don't know yet.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 62 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope so, I need my retirment money back Smiley Happy LOL, that wont even last me few months

Message 63 of 81
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@fury1995 wrote:

The Experian link was a good read. What I find most interesting is how they market their services to poetential clients. I don't believe for a second Comenity (or any large banks) subscribe to it. No way Comenity is using anyone elses data analytics to determine who of their cardholders is likely to default or "bust out" . they have their own historical data. I don't beleive Comenity would trust a third party to help them determine who have credit lines and how much. A bank as large as Comenity would have their own internal team of forensic accountants and risk managers to safeguard their/our money.

Their own algorithms may have modeling that is similar.. but their risk intentions are pretty clear. That's why so many rebuilders get approved.

There is something else to these closures that we just don't know yet.

Depends on how much the bean counters are running the company (and of course the cost).   Many issuers have to buy the basic CR/score  data from EX anyway (for those that use that CR) and if the addons are attractively priced, then they may think that better than doing a home grown version without evidence that is much better.

In my company back in the early 80s and 90s, GE had a system that performed a critical function for us, and charged about $100M a year (at a time when $100M was real money!)  From time to time, there would be efforts to replace this system.   Every time, GE would add new features (that had previously been requested), and provide tiny sweetners, convincing the finance people that money spent on home-grown efforts would be a waste.   Eventually, after something like 29 failed projects, a team was finally able to go aheard and produce a better substitue at a fraction of the cost for maintenance.

TL;DR: Never underestimate the power of a vendor to curry favor with decision makers!

Message 64 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity just lost 64 million dollars. They're taking out on you.

http://www.law360.com/articles/700389/comenity-bank-hit-with-64m-fdic-credit-card-add-on-penalty

8 million more via robo call lawsuit.

25 million more in fines for PayPal credit

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/05/20/paypal_cfpb_complaint_25_million_for_deceptive_practi...

Message 65 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

http://www.law360.com/articles/700389/comenity-bank-hit-with-64m-fdic-credit-card-add-on-penalty

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/05/20/paypal_cfpb_complaint_25_million_for_deceptive_practices_with_paypal_credit.html

Wow. This one really deserves its own thread. I think a lot of people would like to be aware of this.

Message 66 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's one for every lender. Sync got hit with 225 million last year. Fines are cheaper than playing by the rule.

Message 67 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/05/20/paypal_cfpb_complaint_25_million_for_deceptive_practices_with_paypal_credit.html

Interesting read! Thanks for sharing especially the article about PayPal credit.

Message 68 of 81
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure, but the last thing any business does when faced with finincial issues is drive awa y potential business and anger their customers.

These cards are "branded". There are reputation issues that play into anyhthing that Alliance Data may "do" with the accounts.

I'm certain there are some agreements between the Brand and the Bank that also come into play.

They won't just close accounts for no reason that isn't predermined by the issuer and the brand such as having NO use for the card ie. no usage.

When someone has a problem with the financne arm of a particular company, that usually influence that consumer's opinon of the "brand"

For example:

"I won't shop at Walmart anymore because they closed my Walmart account for no reason and won't tell me why. They must not like me so I won't shop there and give them my business."  One doesn't have to do with the other but.. to that consumer it does.

Also..

Every bank is hit with lawsuits and possibly fed penalties every year.

Synchrony was ordered by the CFPB to pay $225 million just June last year.

The $8 million for Paypal was last year. 

These aren't connected with why this thread was started.

No one knows, yet.

These kind of links and statements just scare people

Especially the ones who use Comenity to rebuild.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 69 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update

Have no received anything yet. Called and they gave me the same record. BUT here's the good news

They must be out of their mind

Message 70 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.