Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Closed my Account....

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Comenity Closed my Account....

Which store was it?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone ever bought something very trivial, like a $0.50 Amazon eGiftcard to keep a card "active"?

I wonder if that would be tolerated.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone ever bought something very trivial, like a $0.50 Amazon eGiftcard to keep a card "active"?

The merchants would hate it more than the card issuer. they pay >20 cents plus >2% per transaction. Bloggers on flyertalk and creditcardguru this and that would brag about doing those things. I wouldnt be that robotic. Watch those comenity emails. free shipping on weak spends all the time. Was it a limit that was decent? If so you could probably snag another card from that issuer that you'd use more if you wanted all of your UTIL back.

Message 13 of 17
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The merchants would hate it more than the card issuer. they pay >20 cents plus >2% per transaction. Bloggers on flyertalk and creditcardguru this and that would brag about doing those things. I wouldnt be that robotic. Watch those comenity emails. free shipping on weak spends all the time. Was it a limit that was decent? If so you could probably snag another card from that issuer that you'd use more if you wanted all of your UTIL back.

I would not.  If OP has lots of comenity exposure, then a new card could get him/her shut down.

Signature needs updating
Message 14 of 17
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

I haven't been hit with the Comenity bug yet, but it's weird because I opened a Victoria Secret card back in 2013 during rebuilding and I never once used the card--never--started at $500 and every few months I hit the CLI button for giggles and I'm up to $3,000 now... but agian, never used it... and it's still open.

I probably just jinxed myself though and it'll be closed within a few days LOL

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Comenity giveth. Comenity taketh away!"
Message 16 of 17
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The merchants would hate it more than the card issuer. they pay >20 cents plus >2% per transaction. Bloggers on flyertalk and creditcardguru this and that would brag about doing those things.

Personally I just don't carry any cash (or change), so if I happen to want something for $0.25 I'm still going to be whipping out a credit card to pay for it. I'm sure it might annoy the merchant, but I'm not doing it to be malicious and I'm not going to feel bad about it. IMO it's just the cost of doing business in the modern world. Every now and then I'll come across a place that doesn't take plastic or that says there's a minimum transaction amount I haven't met, but I don't really mind. I just don't buy the thing. Still worth it to me to face this occasional annoyance than to deal with cash.

Anyway, just my speculation but I suspect any small transaction, even for a few cents, would be enough to keep the card 'active' simply because it would probably circumvent whatever monitoring system the credit card company is using to detect inactivity. But I certainly may be wrong or the account may be closed if there's a manual review. Anyway, I'd make sure to use a card I wanted to keep active at least once every 6 months, and if I really want the card at least once every 3 months. Inactivity closure policies definitely vary significantly by lender.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.