Did you mean: 

Comenity Strikes Again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity Strikes Again

Hi,

OP, sorry to heard that, here what happened to me;

Yesterday i went to the convenience store close to my house to buy some stuff, i used my Virgin visa and it was declined, tried again and declined, came home and saw an email from Equifax that something changed on my report, checked and see that the card was "close by the grantor" or something like that, i had this card for 2 months with a perfect payment record, used it and paid, at the time it was closed has no balance, so i called the card back number and they told me that it was closed on Nov 19 and it was a letter on the mail, no explanation whatsoever so go figured.

Dont plan to fight this, i already cut the card in 4 pieces and im seriosly thinking in closing 2 accounts i have with them, i dont have any negative thing in my report  and my scores are 690-709 so dont understand why.

I'll never ever do business with them again.

Message 41 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll never ever do business with them again.

Another poster mentioned that Comenity trolls the forums. If that is the case, i hope they read posts like this one above, and realize the negative word-of-mouth publicity that may occur when formerly loyal cardholders tell others of their experience with Comenity.

Message 42 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:
Sorry to hear TA. They shut down my Modells Visa a few weeks ago and it looks like my HSN is closed as well. I didn't check all my accounts but I wonder why Comenity doesn't change the approval criteria rather than throwing resources at shutting accounts down after the fact.

I remember seeing you post something about Modell's. Didn't know they hit your HSN store card as well. You should check everything else out. Curious to see if you got hit on both your majors and store cards with them.

Message 43 of 115
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Have you actually called in yet? It could be a fraud or income verification thing..

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 44 of 115
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Yesterday I got approved for BJ’s MC then got on line to register the new account after 2 min and it showed 4K SL but “Available Credit” is $0.00 is that mean they closed mine 2 min after they opened it? I don’t have many inq and this would be my 1st Comenity card.

I called the rep and she said its $0 because I have to activate the card 1st and its going to arrive next week! She thanked and welcome me and all.

But I'm Afraid that, what I’m seeing is what everyone else is reporting! So in my case they approved me and instantly closed my account? This makes no logical sense!

Message 45 of 115
taxi818
Super Contributor

You have not gotten 10 accounts in short time. No need to worry. If you just applied. Of course it will say 0 available. Until you get and activate the card. They allow you to create online profile after approval. But you have 0 until you get card. No need to panic. Most closures are for multiple accounts lots only inquiries. Not just a random single account.
Message 46 of 115
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@cybersamp
That's always the case until you activate the card. No worries.
Message 47 of 115
jenrenea

These random Comentiy closures are scaring me.  I opened a few Comenity using the shopping cart trick in addition to Capital One to start building some credit.  Maybe I should consider closing some of these new accounts before they close them? I'm only guessing that "closed by customer" looks better than "closed by grantor" on a credit report?  

Sorry to everyone getting closed on.  It probably really was too good to be true... opening cards without hard pulls.... getting real credit limits for those of us rebuilding (I'm in the mid 600s across the board, so not great credit by any stretch).  It's just bad business though.  There's no way to put faith in a company like this.  If I didn't think it would tank me, I'd probably close them rather than worrying about them doing it.  Maybe I'm just a drama queen Smiley Happy

Message 48 of 115
taxi818
Super Contributor

I don't think it has been random at all. And by most admissions. Although it is tragic for op. It has really been from aggressive credit seeking. If you opened so many from shopping cart trick. This is one thing. But the biggest closures are from the MasterCard and visa approvals. This case is so rare because they got both store and Visa cards. But if you read more than the one thread. You will see the similarities. And it does not appear as random as you guys think. I hope most of those accounts had not reported as to hurt the ops utilization. But really the only down side would be on manual reviews only. Other wise I would just replace those cards with others. Hopefully the AAoA does not get crushed from all the new accounts. Hp is only part of equation. Even without ho. And getting sp your AAoA takes a hit. This is the biggest issue.
Message 49 of 115
Officer737
Established Contributor

Ouch! That really blows! I have 2 cards with them, Gander Mountain and Overtsock. I have used the Overstock but haven't used the GM card yet....kinda leary now. But oh well

Message 50 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.