Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity: Use it or lose it!

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Comenity: Use it or lose it!

Comenity sent me a letter today reminding me how it's been awhile since I've used my Sportsmans Guide Visa. The letter went on to state if I don't use my acct within 90 days it will be closed. I thought it had been six months, but it's actually been closer to ten months. Time to cycle my cards again! With all the flack Comenity takes (rightfully or not), I take it as a nice gesture on their behalf. Has anyone else gotten a letter like this from them?
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Comenity: Use it or lose it!

Nice, rare to get this type of courtesy notice from an issuer if not mistaken, haven't let cards go dormant for long stretches so far but would appreciate a heads up before an unplanned closure by issuer. I've seen a couple of posts from others who have received a similar notice from Comenity. Now go put that card to work B335is!Smiley Happy

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used mine today, got the bug zapper light bulb. I did a search and could not find anyone else who sells the same exact thing, kind of funky.
Message 3 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes! I guess I better cycle mine as well. I know I'm am over 6 months on each of my Comenity cards since I used them last. I haven't gotten a letter from them yet, but I'd prefer to stay off their radar so I'll cycle them real quick. Thanks for the heads up!

Message 4 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use each of my Comenity cards for a small purchase every month because of the crazy way Comenity has been acting towards others. Best to stay off the Comenity radar whenever possible.

In 2017 I plan to close my two Comenity Visa cards because Comenity is not very professional nor predictable. Plus, I'm tired of looking over my shoulder when it comes to them.

Thank you for letting us know, B. This is helpful. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 45
creditguy
Valued Contributor

That is a nice gesture indeed, but their good gestures seem to be dwarfed by abrupt out of the blue closures. Nonetheless I'm glad they gave you a heads up.
Message 6 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back before I cared about credit, my Comenity card was the only one I had. I have let this card go with no activity for more than 4 years with no AA. I just realized in Feb. that it had been about 10 months since I used it, so I ended up buying a small gift card on it just to show some activity. I'll probably do that every six months or so.

Message 7 of 45
kdm31091
Super Contributor

For me, I'm not a big fan of using cards just to keep them alive unless they are really "important" (maybe your very oldest account or something). But once you have plenty of decent cards, the ones you never use should be candidates for closure, IMO. If you haven't used a card in so long that they're mailing a letter about it, you probably don't find it very useful!

Message 8 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just pulled mine out yesterday, charged my $10 lunch to show it some love.

I'm keeping this one open for a while longer until it's a least 1 year old. Losing 2% on a lunch once a month isn't a big deal to keep it open and reporting right now. If it was a store only card, I'd already have it closed.

However, I did try for a CLI and was declined for basically not using the card........
Message 9 of 45
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah time to dust it off and make a swipe with it. It can be a pain keeping up with cycling cards just for the sake of keeping them open, so can totally see both sides. I was still surprised at them sending me a reminder.
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.