Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity bank new terms on card message

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Comenity bank new terms on card message

I just received an email from Comenity regarding my J Crew card stating that there will be new terms on my account. The part that is some cause for concern is:

How We Will Calculate Your Balance: We use a method called “daily balance (including new purchases).”

How we calculate Finance Charges on your Account
We calculate Finance Charges separately for each Credit Plan, using a “Daily Balance” to determine Finance Charges for each Billing Period. Our calculation method is as follows:
- We start with the beginning balance on your Account each day (including unpaid Finance Charges and fees).
- We subtract any payments or credit adjustments (treating any net credit balance as a zero balance) and add new purchases and debit adjustments posted as of that day. This gives us the "Partial Daily Balance" for the day.
- We then multiply the Partial Daily Balance for the day by the Daily Periodic Rate of Finance Charge. This gives us the "Daily Finance Charge" for the day, which we add to the day's Partial Daily Balance.
- We've now determined the "Daily Balance," which will be the beginning balance for the following day. This results in daily compounding of interest charges.
- At the end of each Billing Period, we add together each Credit Plan's Daily Finance Charge, which gives us the total Account Finance Charge.

Your Statement will show a Balance Subject to Interest Rate, which is the sum of the Daily Balance for each day in the Billing Period divided by the total number of days."

I'm confused by the phrase in red. Does that mean there will no longer be a grace period for purchases? I looked at my Freedom agreement for comparison and it also states that it uses the "daily balance method" under the 'How We Will Calculate Your Balance" section. But it doesn't say anything about daily compounding of interest charges. It says o interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date, which I would consider the "standard" way on CCs. Am I not reading this correctly? Has anyone gotten anything similar from Comenity?

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Comenity bank new terms on card message

@parakleet wrote:

I just received an email from Comenity regarding my J Crew card stating that there will be new terms on my account. The part that is some cause for concern is:

How We Will Calculate Your Balance: We use a method called “daily balance (including new purchases).”

We calculate Finance Charges separately for each Credit Plan, using a “Daily Balance” to determine Finance Charges for each Billing Period. Our calculation method is as follows:
- We start with the beginning balance on your Account each day (including unpaid Finance Charges and fees).
- We subtract any payments or credit adjustments (treating any net credit balance as a zero balance) and add new purchases and debit adjustments posted as of that day. This gives us the "Partial Daily Balance" for the day.
- We then multiply the Partial Daily Balance for the day by the Daily Periodic Rate of Finance Charge. This gives us the "Daily Finance Charge" for the day, which we add to the day's Partial Daily Balance.
- We've now determined the "Daily Balance," which will be the beginning balance for the following day. This results in daily compounding of interest charges.
- At the end of each Billing Period, we add together each Credit Plan's Daily Finance Charge, which gives us the total Account Finance Charge.

Your Statement will show a Balance Subject to Interest Rate, which is the sum of the Daily Balance for each day in the Billing Period divided by the total number of days."

I'm confused by the phrase in red. Does that mean there will no longer be a grace period for purchases? I looked at my Freedom agreement for comparison and it also states that it uses the "daily balance method" under the 'How We Will Calculate Your Balance" section. But it doesn't say anything about daily compounding of interest charges. It says o interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date, which I would consider the "standard" way on CCs. Am I not reading this correctly? Has anyone gotten anything similar from Comenity?

Daily compounded means that the interest is calculated every day and added in.   So that interest added today will become part of tomorrows balance used for tomorrows interest calculation.  They make a little bit more money this way.  Was that clear?

It has nothing to do with the grace period, in which all interest is waived in you PIF by the due date.   

Message 2 of 9
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

If you PIF you don't have a starting balance, and, therefore not subject to interest.  Grace period remains intact.

Message 3 of 9
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Now, that I read this again. I'm not so sure.  Did they provide the standard breakdown disclosure box?  That would probably clear things up.  If you are uncertain - call them for clarification.

Message 4 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

If you PIF you don't have a starting balance, and, therefore not subject to interest.  Grace period remains intact.

This is all you got to worry about, no carrying balances an you'll be just fine!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 9
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone! That does make sense. They didn't send the entire terms and conditions - just the parts that changed and everything else stays the same. I hadn't looked at the parts that stayed the same. I got worried there for a sec! I don't plan on carrying a balance on this card ever because the interest rate is so ridiculous. 

Thanks again everyone! You have no idea how close my JCrew card came to meeting its fate in the shredder! Smiley Wink 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 6 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

Not necessarily true.  you can have new charges for the month and stil PIF the statement balance, avoiding intererst.   If you use a card on a regular basis and PIF the statement amount by due date, you will never pay interest and never have a zero balance.

Message 7 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Just got my email   I found the "pass away" default quite amusing.

Avoiding default
You'll be in default under this Agreement if you:

fail to make at least the Total Minimum Payment Due
violate any provision of this Agreement
pass away
become the subject of bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings
supply us with misleading, false, incomplete or incorrect information
are unable or unwilling to perform the terms or conditions of this Agreement
fail to supply us with any information we deem necessary
default under any other loan or agreement you have with us or any of our affiliates
become incompetent
exceed your credit limit
issue a payment returned unpaid by your bank for any reason
Message 8 of 9
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@wolf3 Lol. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.