cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity cards closed.

tag

Comenity cards closed.

I did a very dumb thing and applied for way too many credit cards through Comenity...and got a lot of them.

The fraud alerts came rolling in. I did as they asked and provided my driver's license, social security, a utility bill...but to no avail. They've closed four accounts already: West Elm, Pier 1, True Value and HSN, and I have the sinking feeling they're ALL going to get closed. I'm totally bummed because I WANTED these cards. And I'm more afraid I won't be able to get those cards again in the future.

I don't understand. I've already taken the hit for the applications, and now I don't even get to keep the accounts. I don't understand. As long as everything's legit (as evidenced by the info I provided to them that they requested), why are they closing my accounts?

I don't know what I can do to reopen these accounts, but I'm guessing there's not a chance in hell. 

This sucks.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Comenity cards closed.

Sorry to hear. But why worry about measly store cards. Go for the majors to use anywhere a couple store cards. Ok. But a zillion. Forget it. 

Message 2 of 55
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Having a pile of these small limit cards can harm you in the long run.  Just let them go and apply for a card without a toy limit.

Message 3 of 55
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Did you send off the things they asked? I'm not sure why they closed EVERYTHING.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 55
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@triedtogetacardandcouldnt wrote:

I did a very dumb thing and applied for way too many credit cards through Comenity...and got a lot of them.

The fraud alerts came rolling in. I did as they asked and provided my driver's license, social security, a utility bill...but to no avail. They've closed four accounts already: West Elm, Pier 1, True Value and HSN, and I have the sinking feeling they're ALL going to get closed. I'm totally bummed because I WANTED these cards. And I'm more afraid I won't be able to get those cards again in the future.

I don't understand. I've already taken the hit for the applications, and now I don't even get to keep the accounts. I don't understand. As long as everything's legit (as evidenced by the info I provided to them that they requested), why are they closing my accounts?

I don't know what I can do to reopen these accounts, but I'm guessing there's not a chance in hell. 

This sucks.

You answered your own question.  Regardless whether you were able to provide some form of verification, you posed a very high risk.  Unfortunately, they likely may not reopen them unless you get someone who may be sympathetic and you go through a lot of hurdles.  Just know, they hold the gold regardless if you took the hit for them.  Next time, try a different approach when applying for any accounts and space your applications wisely.

Message 5 of 55
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Wait wait wait... all these poeple responding... do you you even have Comenity Cards?! sure some of them can be measly store card limits but I have a $5100 limit at Pottery Barn and I have seen posts with people having $15k+

Comenity like GE/Sync back a LOT OF F'ing cards so it's not unusual to have a lot of them.

I don't understand why they have closed them if all they asked you to do was verify it is you?!?? and you did that?!

Message 6 of 55
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Wait, wait, wait... why not ask the OP exactly how many Comenty accounts were opened and in what timeframe?  I don't think a fraud notification comes out of just thin air do you?  Also, you are aware that Synchrony (formerly GECRB) takes a similar AA when it comes to such an abundant number of accounts in say ...a span of a couple days?

Message 7 of 55
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Haha Fin we were on the same wave length on that one!!
Message 8 of 55
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:

Wait, wait, wait... why not ask the OP exactly how many Comenty accounts were opened and in what timeframe?  I don't think a fraud notification comes out of just thin air do you?  Also, you are aware that Synchrony (formerly GECRB) takes a similar AA when it comes to such an abundant number of accounts in say ...a span of a couple days?

+1.   I'm curious as to what OP considers "a lot."   I'm think Comenity took AA to reduce their risk here.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 55
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

lol at people who think comenity gives toy limits. I have an 18k Potterybarn card that I opened in november last year I get a 1k increase every month it started at 4k I believe. I also have a 10k West Elm Card that I opened in November. At that same time I opened a NewEgg Preferred account, TigerDirect, and VS. So pretty much in the span of 2 weeks I opened 5 accounts. I just opened up 3 new accounts last month Crate and Barrel stared out at 1k its now at 2.5k, J.Crew started off at $300 now at 1.1k and Sportsmans Guide at 4k....all in a month.

I don't know why the OP got flagged. I would guess that they opened more than 5 accounts.

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.