Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity closed them down

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity closed them down

I did an app spree a few weeks ago. (Insert regret here) Today Comenity closed the three cards I got from them. How worried should I be about my cards from Chase, Discover, Barclay and BMO Harris?
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Comenity closed them down

The only one I would really watch is Barclays, they act like a jealous lover if you get a bunch of cards after them. Chase can get nervous, too (but not as bad as Barclays). Discover won't blink about it. I don't know the BMO Harris card so I can't comment on it. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 39
nrm
Frequent Contributor

@Adkinswrote:

The only one I would really watch is Barclays, they act like a jealous lover if you get a bunch of cards after them. Chase can get nervous, too (but not as bad as Barclays). Discover won't blink about it. I don't know the BMO Harris card so I can't comment on it. 

I don't think Barclay is as jealous as Chase. As if declining over/25 apps are not enough, Chae is now closing accounts from those who acquire more than 5 cards in 24 months. My relatives are leaving Chase for this. 

Message 3 of 39
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@nrmwrote:

@Adkinswrote:

I don't think Barclay is as jealous as Chase. As if declining over/25 apps are not enough, Chae is now closing accounts from those who acquire more than 5 cards in 24 months. My relatives are leaving Chase for this. 

I've read more posts about Barclays being jealous than Chase. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 39
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Chase and Barclays can have each otherSmiley Wink

Sorry Op, credit world is really touchy feely these days and looks like alot of banks want our money they just dont want us sharing with others ie multiple apps. Not much you can do but hold tight and see what happens. What cards did you get and how and when did you app them? These are valuable data points that might prevent someone from making the same mistake. Also what does your profile look like? Score, inquiries, etc. Thsnks and sorry again.
Message 5 of 39
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@nrmwrote:

@Adkinswrote:

This is the first I've heard of this. We've read reports of users being closed by Chase for opening too many accounts with them in a short period of time but nothing like Chase expanding the web to include ALL cards acquired in a 24 month span.

Message 6 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase will probably be the next, it's likely they close all your credit cards with them.

Message 7 of 39
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I don't even know if Chase would go that far to limit customer's ability to get credit elsewhere like that. The 5/24 rule with regards to just Chase themselves has been pretty good at detering the hardcore churners from applying for these cards with few exceptions.

Message 8 of 39
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@nrmwrote:

@Adkinswrote:

I'm curious - are your relatives moderate or hardcore churners? Or are they just people who want to freely acquire cards as they wish without fear of AA? Basically, I'm wondering how the general population of Chase customers are reacting to Chase's rules and recent actions (as opposed to people who frequent places like myFICO or /r/churning and have a bunch of cards).

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 9 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nrmwrote:

@Adkinswrote:

Where are you getting this information?  There absolutely is no widespread reporting of Chase closing accounts down because you opened more than 5 accounts in 24 months.  Chase takes AA for a variety of reason and more often than not, the person affected and certainly others have little idea why the account was closed.  Chase from time to time, like all creditors, will take A for excessive credit seeking but that doesn't mean they no suddenly have a 5/24 rule for account closings.  If that were the case, half the people here would have had their Chase accounts closed.  Clearly that isn't the case.  

Barcalys without a doubt is more sensitive to new accounts being opened than Chase.  It's not even close.

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.