cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity said: charge, charge, charge!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity said: charge, charge, charge!

@Anonymous wrote:

What reward is in for the creditor to give a larger credit line to a consumer who only charges up to 10% of their assigned line sporadically?

Don't forget when we rotate cards that we use daily, the swipes fees for the credit company will add up.  Smiley Wink  

Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kuku4koco wrote:

I'm sure everyone's risk model is different... American Express may love that you charge it charge it charge it... and perhaps there's no limit, you just PIF.  Other creditors may see that as risky behavior and not reward you with CLI's as often or at all, because if they give you 20k in credit and you rack up 19k and something happens and you file for bankruptcy, they get screwed.

You make a good point with this statement.  That is why we're here.  So we don't do that.  It's about being responsible and taking control.  If you can't pay for it, you don't get it.  Words I lived by my whole life.  Unfortunately, I was paying with my debit card and didn't have credit for many years!  But I use that today with my cc's.  I plan, charge and pay.  I kind of treat the cards like they were my personal bank account.  My hubby and I couldn't buy a home because we didn't have 3 tradelines at first.  I'm very grateful for this forum.  They've taught me how to get credit and not to do anything stupid with it.  And I thank all of them. Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:
You don't need to use the card "quite a bit" to get a substantial CLI. When I got my first Barneys CLI, I hadn't even used the card! The 2nd CLI I only used the card once for $40 purchase.

It will never make sense, and I truly believe that everyone will have a different outcome. The computer and Comenity's internal scoring will still always be a factor, and play into it.

They either like you, like you a little, like you A LOT, or not at all. Smiley Wink

Ah,  Pizza!  Just who I need to ask a couple questions too!  Just got Barney's.  Yes, had to have a little something for not getting my 3xcli from Amex this time.  Smiley Wink  So do I call, or hit the luv button when the card arrives or wait 3 months and try?  Not sure what's best with this one.  Thx. Smiley Wink  Yeah, I see that with Comenity.  I think they like me.  Doing good with the so far.  

Congrats on that!!  ..I would wait till you get the card, then call # on the back. The auto lady will ask you, "tell me youre calling", you say credit limit increase. She will either say "ok, I can help you with that, but first I need some information", or shell say...."please hold while I transfer you to a CS rep".  If you get to the part about needing more info, just follow the prompts, and when she ask "are you requesting a specific limit amount?", you say NO. she will either say congrats, and give you new limit, or 7-10 day.  If 7-10 day,wait 31 days and then try it. if congrats....start the process all over again. It seems to hand out $10k at a time, so once you get that amount, your done for now. 

Thanks so much Pizza!  Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink  I'll let you know what happens.  

Message 33 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kuku4koco wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Comenity has always said that. Their CSRs are scripted from the computer to encourage more use. Look at all the crazy J Crew and Barneys CLI as proof all you need to buy is a sale pair of socks then hit the luv button. 

+1 totally agree. ive spent a total of $58 on my jcrew in the last year. Limit started at $300. Currently at $9100. so. which im doing a test now. to see if it will report without use. As many said it will in a couple months. I will see.if not. i will but a pair of $21 dollar socks. Smiley Sad

I'm in FL.  No socks here.  What to buy??? Smiley Wink

I'm in hot weather Az and bought the DW several blouses from the big sale section of blouses, a pair ofTretorn tennis shoes,  and she got a dress and some capri jeans.

She loves everything.I just bought a T shirt and belt.

Ok J Crew, I threw you a bone over $500, I owe you $150 which will be paid off over the next 30 days. Now it's time for my $4800 limit.  Smiley Happy

Spending 10% of your CL warrants a limit increase? Explain this reasoning please.

I've read here and many other places OFTEN, that because you charge it up a lot or to the limit and PIF it can make you look like a 'risky' consumer... Just a thought.

I think we're talking about never going over 30%.  Thus the reason for wanting higher cl's.  Smiley Wink

30% of $5,000 is?

~$500 =/= 30% of $5,000.

Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Comenity has always said that. Their CSRs are scripted from the computer to encourage more use. Look at all the crazy J Crew and Barneys CLI as proof all you need to buy is a sale pair of socks then hit the luv button. 

+1 totally agree. ive spent a total of $58 on my jcrew in the last year. Limit started at $300. Currently at $9100. so. which im doing a test now. to see if it will report without use. As many said it will in a couple months. I will see.if not. i will but a pair of $21 dollar socks. Smiley Sad

They have great shirts!!

Message 35 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kuku4koco wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I'm in hot weather Az and bought the DW several blouses from the big sale section of blouses, a pair ofTretorn tennis shoes,  and she got a dress and some capri jeans.

Ok J Crew, I threw you a bone over $500, I owe you $150 which will be paid off over the next 30 days. Now it's time for my $4800 limit.  Smiley Happy

Spending 10% of your CL warrants a limit increase? Explain this reasoning please.

I've read here and many other places OFTEN, that because you charge it up a lot or to the limit and PIF it can make you look like a 'risky' consumer... Just a thought.

I think we're talking about never going over 30%.  Thus the reason for wanting higher cl's.  Smiley Wink

30% of $5,000 is?

~$500 =/= 30% of $5,000.

500 is 10% of 5,000.  Smiley Wink  Still okay.  You don't need to put 30% on all the time.  Sometimes I put smaller limits on during the month and pay. If you add them up, they can turn into 30-40%.  I must say that hubby and I have a side hvac business and summer is prime for us.  So we can charge quite a bit on those cards for equipement, etc.  Why else would I be where it's so darn hot, humid and full of all kinds of bugs and critters! Smiley Surprised  Oh, don't forget those snakes! lol

Message 36 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kuku4koco wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

30% of $5,000 is?

~$500 =/= 30% of $5,000.

500 is 10% of 5,000.  Smiley Wink  Still okay.  You don't need to put 30% on all the time.  Sometimes I put smaller limits on during the month and pay. If you add them up, they can turn into 30-40%.  I must say that hubby and I have a side hvac business and summer is prime for us.  So we can charge quite a bit on those cards for equipement, etc.  Why else would I be where it's so darn hot, humid and full of all kinds of bugs and critters! Smiley Surprised  Oh, don't forget those snakes! lol

Why not apply for business credit cards which don't report to personal CB?

Message 37 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kuku4koco wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

30% of $5,000 is?

~$500 =/= 30% of $5,000.

Why not apply for business credit cards which don't report to personal CB?

That was my plan.  Unfortunately, Chase said we have to wait 18 months.  Want that Ink card badly.  Need to wait for the inq's to fall off before we can get it. 

Message 38 of 42
ddemari
Super Contributor

Comenity definitely likes u to use your credit when they increase it. Hence those emails reminding you to buy something with your extra spending power.
Message 39 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:
Comenity definitely likes u to use your credit when they increase it. Hence those emails reminding you to buy something with your extra spending power.

Just did and they said to call in the beginning of Aug for another cli!  Might try the phone trick instead. Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.