Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity + trick - What is it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity + trick - What is it?

I see alot of people mentioning this and the "credit card trick" ... it seems like people are using this to rebuild their credit? I am in the process of rebuilding and was recently approved for my first actual credit card (CAP1 Quicksilver) in many years... I also have an unsecured Cap1.

Could you guys shed some light on it? Would it help my credit? It seems like they are store cards and its a soft inquiry? Any credit is good credit I suppose?

Whoever has experience with this please let me know if its worth doing. I am about 620-630 and trying to improve my score.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Comenity + trick - What is it?

just do a search above for "Shopping Cart Trick" tons of posts and how to.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

does it help ones credit? does it affect your score by running these inquires?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I tried searching... found lots of threats with people saying the trick worked but nothing detailing or explaining exactly what it is and/or what it does, whether or not it affects your credit etc.

Message 4 of 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/NEW-UPDATED-LIST-for-Comenity-Bank-Store-Cards-can-be-u...

It will "hurt" your score any way a new TL would. 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also I tried searching... found lots of threats with people saying the trick worked but nothing detailing or explaining exactly what it is and/or what it does, whether or not it affects your credit etc.

Only a select few of those stores have the "trick" enabled.  There are no hard pulls.  Although, I've read that those approved for the Total Rewards ended up with a HP. 

It will affect your AAoA so you will see a dip in scores but I've been told give it 4-6 months and they'll go back up.  It's only because they are new TL's.  They all seem to SP EQ, although Victoria's Secret did a SP through EX with me, but that was the only one.  Make sure your Pop-Up blocker is off.

Tip:

Victoria's Secret can be used at Bath and Body Works. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Great to know. I tried out Express yesterday and was approved for $500 CL. I figured I'd open all apps around the same time so I'd  just wait around 6 months and they'll all have the same AAOA

Message 7 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

avoid doing more than 2 or 3 cards that way in a month, they have been known to shutdown all your cards if they see too many new cards. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 9
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Also try for cards that you are actually going to use (i.e. stores you shop at).

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.