cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming up on 6 months with USAA, time for CLI?

tag
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

Coming up on 6 months with USAA, time for CLI?

I have had my USAA mastercard for about 6 months now, every month I pay in full and dont carry a balance. SInce I started being active on this forum about a month ago I then learned about the whole 61 days with Amex, but still unsure about how USAA works. 

A quick run down of things on my report from the last month, before this there was barely anything on my report except the two USAA mastercards I have.

I applied for two new Amex cards approved for both

And last week got a auto loan/lease

What do you guys think? Should I go for one or should I wait for everything to age? ALso would it be a soft pull or hard pull?

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
msbia
Established Contributor

Re: Coming up on 6 months with USAA, time for CLI?

As long as you are past the six month mark you should be good. I sent secure messages with my income and housing status and they approved my CLIs within 24 hours. I was like 6 months and 4 days in. Good luck to you!
Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 2 of 13
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

@msbia wrote:
As long as you are past the six month mark you should be good. I sent secure messages with my income and housing status and they approved my CLIs within 24 hours. I was like 6 months and 4 days in. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the information, I will look into if the account is actually past 6 months of age. If I'm not it should be relatively soon.

US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Message 3 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Jarrodpd wrote:

I have had my USAA mastercard for about 6 months now, every month I pay in full and dont carry a balance.

While that can help your overall credit and your income are what matter.

@Jarrodpd wrote:

ALso would it be a soft pull or hard pull?

Hard.  If you're going to assume then always expect a hard regardless of creditor (aside from those that are known softs).

Message 4 of 13
msbia
Established Contributor

+1 Takeshi74

My Experian that they pulled showed 704 I think. I have a paid tax lien and paid collection. I also have a 4 year relationship with them, an a veteran and have several products including car loan, auto and life insurance, checking and savings.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 5 of 13
msbia
Established Contributor

Hard pull each app.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 6 of 13
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all of the advise. I dont really need a CLI, so I may just wait till next year that way im not getting to many pulls in a months time frame. Hopefully by then they will automatically raise the limit.

Message 7 of 13
alvon123
Super Contributor

@Jarrodpd wrote:

Thanks for all of the advise. I dont really need a CLI, so I may just wait till next year that way im not getting to many pulls in a months time frame. Hopefully by then they will automatically raise the limit.

I would go for the cli.on your USAA Platinum Mastercard: They do grant a increase every 6 months. They will pull Equifax for the cli and it will be a hard pull..

If you call in;  ask if your account is elgible for a credit limit increase and they will let you know before they pull your report.

Tip: make sure your overall utilization is low before you ask for the cli.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alvon123 wrote:

@Jarrodpd wrote:

I would go for the cli.on your USAA Platinum Mastercard: They do grant a increase every 6 months. They will pull Equifax for the cli and it will be a hard pull..

If you call in;  ask if your account is elgible for a credit limit increase and they will let you know before they pull your report.

Tip: make sure your overall utilization is low before you ask for the cli.

+1

This does seem to be a major factor. I have been denied all 3 times I requested over 18 months for CLI due to high util.

Edited to add: In fact, I have been denied everything I ever requested from USAA except my one initial card due to high util. Car loan and PLOC along with the CLIs

Message 9 of 13
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

Just to give a follow up, I called a few minutes ago and I will have officially had my card 6 months the 20th of this month. Do I need to wait for the 6 month and 1st day? Also I have never carried a balance on my card, also with the excpetion of one month, I pay the card off in full before the check even printed.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.