cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments on the amount of cards you have..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comments on the amount of cards you have..

I've had a couple people mention my credit cards to me, and it really threw me off because I only have 5 of them. But to some people, I guess that's a lot and they just couldn't imagine having that many cards themselves. I don't discuss personal stuff often, and I never talk about my finances with people I know, so I was never sure how to respond to a comment like that.

Message 11 of 39
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
That's just the thing. Most of the people I know see credit cards as a bad thing because of the debt they've gotten themselves into. I tried to explain to my sister how I was able to get my fiancé an IPAD for Christmas using rewards and she didn't get it. Then towards the end of the convo she was all "Wait, so if you cash why would you even bother with credit cards." At that point I just gave up.

I hope you weren't too hard on her.

It took me more years than I care to admit before I realized that with proper management CC's could save and make me money.

Message 12 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes and I tell them the last time I actually paid out of pocket for a flight. /thread
Message 13 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wasn't hard on her at all! She just doesn't get the "rewards" part. Thats fine and it's not for everybody! I learned a couple of lessons too with credit back in the daY! I'm not perfect!

I don't like discussing finances in depth so that comment did throw me off a little.
Message 14 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

My SO thought I was out of my mind when she found out how many cards that I had, until she saw how I managed then and how good my scores were. Now she allows me to help her with card management and I've been able to raise her score by approximately 40 points across all three bureaus. My immediate family (dad, mom, brother, sister) all think the amount of cards I have is too much and there is no convincing otherwise, even knowing how I've managed to improve my score. I guess it really depends, but beyond that I've never been asked about it in public.
Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing sort of happened with me and my SO. Except for he thinks I still have too many cards but when he gets a free vacation I'll have the last laugh. 😜
Message 16 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't blame people who don't get it. All you hear about on TV or the news is the horror stories of abusing credit cards and getting in deep trouble. I was one of those people until I experienced a paradigm shift and now instead of abusing credit cards, I use them. I don't pay a penny in interest. On the contrary, I get paid to shop for the stuff I was going to buy anyway and I get a free loan for up to 50 days to pay it back!

Message 17 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So then she commented.."you have a different card today" and I just said "huh" She said "Last week I seen you pay with a black card (My Marriott). I was just thinking omg if she knew how many cards I really had.

It's a well known fact, chicks dig credit cards, it's like an aphrodisiac

Ask her out.

Message 18 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So then she commented.."you have a different card today" and I just said "huh" She said "Last week I seen you pay with a black card (My Marriott). I was just thinking omg if she knew how many cards I really had.

It's a well known fact, chicks dig credit cards, it's like an aphrodisiac

Ask her out.

I think tj's husband-to-be would be unappreciative of that. Smiley Wink 

Message 19 of 39
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I don't discuss the number of cards I have with anyone. Even my signature doesn't represent the total number that I have, although it's not too far off. I just don't appreciate the snarky comments from uninformed individuals who associate credit cards with debt and trouble. I just so happen to like having a vast array of cards that I can use at my convenience and discretion for rewards from the various expenses of life.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.