Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Poll: Paper or E-Statements?

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Community Poll: Paper or E-Statements?

Which do you prefer, paper statements or e-statements?

For me, everything is paper, with one exception (it pays a slightly higher rate for deposit accounts with e-statement only).

I pay everything online, but still prefer to receive the paper statements.  I like hard copy records, and I see no reason to use my equipment, my electricity, my ink and my paper, and (most of all) my time to print out statements unless there is a monetary benefit to me for doing so.  

The "save a tree" stuff is BS, they still send all the promo stuff anyways.  All that's being saved is printing and postage costs for the credit card companies, with the added bonus of potential fees for those times you may forget to check your email (or it doesn't get delivered) or your online account. 

My attitude would change if my mail was prone to theft, but it is not.

Comments?  Questions?  Concerns?  Ham sandwich?

I await your responses...

Carry on...

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Community Poll: Paper or E-Statements?

I was paperless for a while but went back to paper. I can no longer open any of my Citi statements online. There is no PDF option. So I need paper for that. Penfed went to 50 cents for paper I chose paperless but they still send me paper. I could do without all the advertisements they all send but I want paper now.
Message 2 of 56
DI
Super Contributor

Only get E-statements if you are well organize, and check your accounts and emails often.  Going paperless means less statements in the mail and it limits being a victim of identify theft. 

I been receving all my statements online for many many years. 

Message 3 of 56
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

paperless

For those who want to keep records of their statements and don't trust the banks to not "accidentally" lose them, bring up the PDF version of your statements, save to a CD, and make the CD your file cabinet.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 56
Scamp
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty O-C about checking my accounts every day, as well as email frequently, but I still prefer paper statements, pretty much for the same reasons UBUP cited above - I want hard copies but don't fancy using my toner, paper and printer to produce them.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 5 of 56
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Paper. Too easy to miss an email.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually "like" both.  I like the convenience of being able to pull anything I need up on screen.  On the other hand, I like a hard copy in the files too.

Message 7 of 56
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Weighing towards paper. As a business owner, I need hard copies of everything. Either I print it up or let them print it. Cheaper if they do it. I choose to receive paper statements, but rely on online info to pay bills, check balances, etc. I have stacks and stacks of unopened statements and process them quarterly. As long as the online account matches the statement, then I'm good to go.
Message 8 of 56
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

Pro-Paper Statements.
Message Edited by RozBuds on 08-10-2009 06:05 PM
Message 9 of 56
SherriLynn
Regular Contributor

Paperless, I like the privacy. 
08/08 FICO TU649 EQ645 EX639
12/08 FICO TU665 EQ672 EX667
03/09 EQ650
App-free since 01/29/09
Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.