cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Poll: Paper or E-Statements?

tag
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: Community Poll: Paper or E-Statements?

I am torn on this issue. I would love to say that I use al electronic statements--paper does seem like such a waste. However, I still get paper from most ccc unless they have offered some incentive not to. While I check my email regularly, it is also easier for emails to get lost or buried under a pile of other email. Paper statements sit at home in a stack that I look at regularly. Normally I pay the bill as soon as the paper statement comes in the mail (if it has not already been paid prior to the statement cutting). I would probably feel differently if the ccc emailed the statement--not an email notification that a statement is available.

I got burned once with e-statements. It was a citi card that I never used. I noticed a missed payment on  my credit report. I called Citi and they said my AF had charged 2 months prior and I was late. I explained that I never got a bill--they claimed I signed up for e statements and that I should have received an email. Citi was very good about it. I explained that I do not pay annual fees, did not get any emailed statements, and did not recall signing up for estatements. They removed the annual fee, late penalties, and removed the late and in fact the whole tradeline form my reports. Now I am a bit hesitant to sign up for e-statements.

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 21 of 56
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Which do you prefer, paper statements or e-statements?

"The "save a tree" stuff is BS, ....." 

Comments?  Questions?  Concerns?  Ham sandwich?

I await your responses...

Carry on...

Make mine paper.....  and I'll have some cheese on that Ham sandwich if'n ya don't mind.....Smiley Wink

D-R

Message 22 of 56
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Desert-Rat wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Which do you prefer, paper statements or e-statements?

"The "save a tree" stuff is BS, ....." 

Comments?  Questions?  Concerns?  Ham sandwich?

I await your responses...

Carry on...

Make mine paper.....  and I'll have some cheese on that Ham sandwich if'n ya don't mind.....Smiley Wink

D-R

American?  Swiss?  Cheddar?  Provolone?  (Paper-thin, of course!)

Message 23 of 56
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Paper statements...I note on each the date paid, $$ how much pd, any conf # assigned...then it goes in the envelope for that "bill" and I have an oblong basket filled with an envelope for each bill...for that year.  I keep all stubs for everything & have for years.  I also keep a notebook & each full open section I have the month, each bill name, balance, post (to CR) date, $ how much I paid, date pd & new balance.  I also pay all my billsfrom my checking/debit acct.  My payment activity is covered in 4 different places!

Would that be considered O-C????  Smiley Tongue

Oh yeah.....and for lunch...

Brown Sugar baked Ham...

Jalapeno Cheese...

Grilled on Rye...

Arby's Horsey sauce!

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 08-11-2009 08:22 AM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 24 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BungalowMo wrote:

Paper statements...I note on each the date paid, $$ how much pd, any conf # assigned...then it goes in the envelope for that "bill" and I have an oblong basket filled with an envelope for each bill...for that year.  I keep all stubs for everything & have for years.  I also keep a notebook & each full open section I have the month, each bill name, balance, post (to CR) date, $ how much I paid, date pd & new balance.  I also pay all my billsfrom my checking/debit acct.  My payment activity is covered in 4 different places!

Would that be considered O-C????  Smiley Tongue

Oh yeah.....and for lunch...

Brown Sugar baked Ham...

Jalapeno Cheese...

Grilled on Rye...

Arby's Horsey sauce!

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 08-11-2009 08:22 AM

I love Arby's Horsey-Sauce.  Always have a few extra packets for the fridge...my family just doesn't get it.  We're going to have to try the BM sandwich for lunch - sounds divine.

Mostly paper.  I keep trying out paperless and quickly revert.  But I manage my accounts obsessively online.

Message 25 of 56
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

Paperless all the way. I HATE shredding. I have tons of old statements from years ago that I have yet to shred.

I check my accounts religiously so I really do not need to see my statements. I don't want to build of paper that I have to shred down the line. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 56
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm like others in that I check my accounts online daily. By the time a paper statement arrived, it would all be old news.

It's handy to note on a piece of paper the payment details, but I don't want paper statements coming through the mail. (We live on a busy rural highway, and our mailbox has been raided in the past.) So again, if I feel the need for paper, I can print it off the screen and scribble away.

Otherwise, just save the pdf version of the statement to a separate CD and stick that in my files. * shrugs *
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 27 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm another one who prefers paperless statements.  I check my accounts online at least 3x a week, so I know what to expect.  Once an "e-statement" is available, I put a note in my calender on my BlackBerry of the date to pay.

It's weird...my stomach gets all knotted up when I see the paper statements in the mail, but when I check the paperless statement on the computer, I'm much calmer. 

That, and I can never misplace a computer statement, whereas paper statements can constantly get lost or thrown out.

The only statement I really care about is my year-end summary.

Message 28 of 56
armymom
Regular Contributor

Mostly paper.  I keep trying out paperless and quickly revert.  But I manage my accounts obsessively online.

I do mostly paper as well.  I note when payment was made, online or check # and how much.  I also note when I receive CLI's and how much.  I also check my accounts daily.

Message Edited by armymom on 08-11-2009 08:50 AM
Message Edited by armymom on 08-11-2009 08:53 AM
Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 29 of 56
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@armymom wrote:

I do mostly paper as well.  I note when payment was made, online or check # and how much.  I also note when I receive CLI's and how much.  I also check my accounts daily.

A CBR obtained directly from EX contains detailed historical CL information for each account.

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.