cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company ran pending charge TWICE on Citi. What can I do?

tag
smile90000
New Contributor

Company ran pending charge TWICE on Citi. What can I do?

Two weeks ago, purchased a $500 item online through what I thought was a reputable company (it's well known).  

They put a pending charge on the day I purchased the item (which is normal), then put ANOTHER pending charge when the item shipped (yes, that meant they had $1000 pending on a $500 charge!). The second pending went through as a charge a week ago, but the 1st pending charge is still there. I called Citi and they said the merchant needs to contact them and remove the pending...that was 5 days ago. I have talked to the merchant and they say it is their fault but the charge is still pending.  Supposedly they are working on it, but my patience is running thin.   Has anyone had to contest a pending charge with Citi?   My first call to citi said I had to wait until I got my next statement....but she also seemed a little clueless.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Re: Company ran pending charge TWICE on Citi. What can I do?

It will  go much smoother if you work with the merchant to reslove it. I had this happen earlier this year with chase. I called the merchant and within the week they credited me the double charge to my account. I did call chase and they said they can open a dispute if I wanted to but I said I would try to contact the merchant first and it was handled timely.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@smile90000 wrote:

Two weeks ago, purchased a $500 item online through what I thought was a reputable company (it's well known).  

They put a pending charge on the day I purchased the item (which is normal), then put ANOTHER pending charge when the item shipped (yes, that meant they had $1000 pending on a $500 charge!). The second pending went through as a charge a week ago, but the 1st pending charge is still there. I called Citi and they said the merchant needs to contact them and remove the pending...that was 5 days ago. I have talked to the merchant and they say it is their fault but the charge is still pending.  Supposedly they are working on it, but my patience is running thin.   Has anyone had to contest a pending charge with Citi?   My first call to citi said I had to wait until I got my next statement....but she also seemed a little clueless.

I wouldn't worry about it while it's just a temporary authorization.

If it posts, then you've got a problem.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 9
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

While it's annoying, until it posts, neither Citi or any other bank can do anything about "pendings". If it does post then Citi can do a chargeback. Don't sweat it, but don't forget about it until it disappears.  

Message 4 of 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Sweat if the merchant does their processing bi-weekly, or less in the month. Limit issue from being tied up in pending?

Message 5 of 9
sarge12
Senior Contributor

I have often had pending charges show twice for a business...not a big deal, here is why it happens. Many online business such as amazon are actually selling items that are actually bought and shipped from other actual suppliers. When you place the order, amazon checks the credit card for validity and availability of funds, this puts a pending on the card, but will not cause a transaction, as they do not know if the supplier has the stock immediately on hand  When the actual supplier ships item they create an actual invoice on the card, which will show as pending. This charge will actually clear and post as a charge. The other pending will dissappear in a few days...nothing to worry about as this is fairly normal.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 9
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Just re-read OP's post...most cc issuers automaticly drops any pendings after i believe 5 days if the actual charge does not happen...that is a problem with citi in my opinion. I have never had a pending showing for that long, Most of my cards it even states...pending charges can not be disputed and will remain for a maximum of 5 days before posting. If fraudulant charge posts, dispute it.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others said, it's just a pending charge. Unless you're within $500 of your credit limit and you need that opened, it's not worth the hassle. It will drop off.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

Just re-read OP's post...most cc issuers automaticly drops any pendings after i believe 5 days if the actual charge does not happen...that is a problem with citi in my opinion. I have never had a pending showing for that long, Most of my cards it even states...pending charges can not be disputed and will remain for a maximum of 5 days before posting. If fraudulant charge posts, dispute it.

You are so right it's up to the bank on timing pending drops...Sounds like Citi is passing the buck... A lot of the time pendings drop if they post as a 2nd auth within 5 to 8 days of the charge actually posting, with most companies for online orders, they charge when they ship. They auth the card when you place the order to make sure funds are available. Banks on the other hand, have up to 30 days to drop a pending charge, I worked in the banking industry then the retail industry for a long time. I wish banks would just be straight up. Let customers know that if there is just 1 cent difference sometimes they allow the 2nd auth since in that case it doesn't match the first. But they will allow that first to sit to avoid the store not getting their funds.

I know of a few companies, Apple being one that sometimes you will see two auths since they don't make the final settled auth until they ship unless you use a debit card. Pendings can't be disputed since there's no settled record that attached to the original auth code. Citi can offer to confernce the store and have them drop pendings then if they can confirm they settled one of the pendings.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.