Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare & Contrast, Citi Forward with Thank you points, & Chase Amazon Card

tag
Cory
Established Contributor

Compare & Contrast, Citi Forward with Thank you points, & Chase Amazon Card

Hello,

I'm thinking about converting my Chase Freedom to a Chase Amazon Card. My questions are, how does the Citi Forward & Chase Amazon stack up? I'm more interested in the points value. Citi is 5Xpoints, and Chase is 3xpoints, but Citi's points are not worth the actual 5xpoints when time for redemption right? If I'm interested in Gift Cards only for redemption, what Gift Cards are usually worth their value for Thank you points?

Also, I was thinking of coverting my Freedom to a Disney Card. How do you redeem points/cash for Chase Disney?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Compare & Contrast, Citi Forward with Thank you points, & Chase Amazon Card

Hey!

First off, why are you considering PC your Freedom? The 5x cash back with revolving categories is hard to beat!

I can't give you advice on the Citi vs Chase amazon, so hopefully someone else will post with more info!

I do know that the Disney points can only be redeemed on certain Disney things. for example, in the Disney Store OR disneystore.com, through a Disney gift card. OR, you can use your points for Disney travel, like staying at their resort, paying timeshare dues, park passes, disney restaurants, etc. Pretty much if it's Disney, you can use your points towards it!

Hope that helped clarify the Disney card Smiley Happy

[edit]: i also just read you can use it toward airlines; book your flight on the card and you can use your points to reimburse it!

Message 2 of 9
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 3 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

keep your freedom card and get a citi forward / the end Smiley Happy

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Many times you will run into 0.8 cent per point when you redeem TY point for gift card (myself have 1:1, but many reported 1:0.8). You can also use TY points on Amazon Shop with Points (use your points to cover purchase amount) at 0.8 cent per point.

To get 1 cent per point for sure, use it to buy airline tickets or pay student loan/mortgage.

You also need to keep in mind that some of the benefits from Citi Forward. You get cell phone insurance when you pay cell phone bill on Forward. You do need to pay $50 as co-payment per incident, but Citi will cover the rest of the phone value up to $250. Citi allows you to get early access on concert tickets (never tired it myself).

Another thing from Citi is virtual account, where you can generate a soon expired credit card number and use it for mail in order/online shopping. That way you don't need to hand over your actual number.

Finally, Citi loves to offer 0% APR promotion when you pay on time and pay more than minimum payment. Citi will constantly bombard you with these offers, so it is actually a good financing tool.

Citi Forward in every way is better than Chase Amazon and Chase Sapphire.

Message 5 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I can agree with a lot, but better in every way to Chase Sapphire Preferred?

1. Metal card = sex appeal lol

2. 90 days price match guarenttee if item you buy goes on sale within 90 days they'll credit you the difference

3. NO foreign transaction fee

4. 2.67 points on Fast food which Forward doesn't cover, 1.337 on everything else when used for travel (25% travel bonus and 7% annual)

5. When you call you get a direct CSR right away, no automated bs, and they're domestic call centers. Never encountered a rep who didn't speak cleanly or with a heavy accent.

6. 40,000 points (worth $500 in travel bonus) vs $100 

7.  Very good ultimate rewards mall and 12 points for dollar spent on places like restaurants.com

8. Free Concierge Service

9. NPSL

10. 1 year extra warrenty on electronics

I just got the Citi Forward coming in the mail anytime now, but every card has their perks, no top tier card is better than the other in every way.

Message 6 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I'm talking about the no annual fee Chase Sapphire. Of course CSP is another horse.

Forward DOES count fast food in 5X category.

Message 7 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I'm talking about the no annual fee Chase Sapphire. Of course CSP is another horse.

Forward DOES count fast food in 5X category.

Last I checked people said it didn't, but that's good news since I have one coming in =)

but yea the non-annual fee Sapphire is kinda weak imo, and I saw the non-annual fee version first time today..... pretty ugly.

Message 8 of 9
Cory
Established Contributor

Hello Guys & Gals!

Thank you for your replies.

The only reason I want to convert my freedom is because I have Discover More, which gets the 5% back on catagories already. Discover CSR is great, Chase is too, but Discover seems to have the edge when it comes to streamlining your account with offers, 2% here, another 2% there and everywhere. And that is on top of the 5%. Another reason I choose Discover over Freedom is that Discover has two gift cards that Chase does not have.

I love Citi. As someone mentioned, I'm always logging in and finding three (3) sometimes four (4) balance transfer offers at the same time. Year around/.99%, 1.99% etc. I just wanted to know which card has the best redemption rate? Can you redeem Chase Amazon points for Gift Cards, Cash etc?

Thanks & Happy Holidays & Thanksgiving to all!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.