Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complicated Household Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Complicated Household Question

We live together. The card will be used to pay for shared expenses only. So, do I add her income to household income or other income?

Background: I have very low income ($10k disability), and I'm applying for a credit card for the first time. It will be used to pay moving costs since the movers only accept credit cards. I don't plan to carry a balance. Both of us are fully prepared to PIF for moving costs after we split them. After that, it will be used for small household expenses. I also plan to add her as an authorized user so that she can go out and get stuff we need when I am too ill.

We are in no way legally bound to each other, but I know she has the agreed upon amount of money set aside. She's always good for her share of the bills. If an income verification was required, she'd happily provide tax docs, etc.

My credit isn't too bad due to years of on time student loan payments (see recent post), but with my income, I know it'll be hard to be approved.

So, what should I do? Should I go for my pre-approved Discover offer and just put my income, hoping they take the chance on someone as low income as me? Or, should I combine our incomes on the app?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Complicated Household Question

If they ask for house hold income then yet. But if they ask for individual income them be honest. Why don't you go for Green Amex ?? It's PIF each month......it's a Charge card very decent limit.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I definitely don't want to fudge! I hope I didn't give that impression. I have just read on apps that "household" can include someone else responsible for the debt. I have also seen some with an "other" box that ask me to include any other money that'd be used to pay for the debt. Since she's paying her half, I thought it would be more accurate to include her income.
Message 3 of 5
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Do you know your score and AAOA ????? how long you in with your current debt ??? do you have any credit card ??? Do you plan to purchase anything like CAR or Home anytime soon ???

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yeah the issue here is not adding her for AU and if she can pay.

However, do you know her credit, why doesn't she add you to a card, vs. you add her to a card?

You have student loans that are on time, is that it? or have you had bad credit card stuff in past?

Have you pulled at least 1 score here? or aply for anything recently?

bank with?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.