Did you mean: 

Comprehensive Guide to Citi ThankYou Products and Rewards Program

tag
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: Comprehensive Guide to Citi ThankYou Products and Rewards Program

@jsucool76 wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

jsucool76, I cannot thank you enough!  I just received my Thank You Premier card and could not find the redemption ratios anywhere on Citi's website (aside from transfers to travel partners and booking travel through their portal).

Quick question: If I had both Premier and Prestige would I be able to redeem TY points for AA at 1.6, other air travel at 1.33, and all other travel at 1.25 (a hybrid of both programs)?

You should be able to, yes. All the points are pooled into one thankyou account, and you should always be given the highest redemption rate possible for the redemption you're making. 

Thanks a bunch!

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 21 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@sunkissed wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

jsucool76, I cannot thank you enough!  I just received my Thank You Premier card and could not find the redemption ratios anywhere on Citi's website (aside from transfers to travel partners and booking travel through their portal).

Quick question: If I had both Premier and Prestige would I be able to redeem TY points for AA at 1.6, other air travel at 1.33, and all other travel at 1.25 (a hybrid of both programs)?

You should be able to, yes. All the points are pooled into one thankyou account, and you should always be given the highest redemption rate possible for the redemption you're making. 

Thanks a bunch!

My rule of thumb is always just do the math before you book it. It lists both the total $ cost and the total points cost, so you can figure it out and make sure you're getting the right value. If not make a quick phone call to ensure you get the best value for your points. 

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

These have very limited value as cash back cards correct?  If you aren't a traveler are they any good? 

Message 23 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

These have very limited value as cash back cards correct?  If you aren't a traveler are they any good? 

No, they're 1:1, if you redeem Mortgage and/or student loans.

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Where is the value though?  3X gas is not very good especially for a card with an annual fee.  2X restaurants and entertainment is pretty ho hum as well.  I don't have any cards in the Citi family and I'm just trying to see if these have any type of benefit for someone with my type of spend.  It doesn't seem like it unless I am missing something. 

FWIW Discover It, Freedom, Sallie Mae, Chase AARP, BOA Cash Rewards. 

Message 25 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Where is the value though?  3X gas is not very good especially for a card with an annual fee.  2X restaurants and entertainment is pretty ho hum as well.  I don't have any cards in the Citi family and I'm just trying to see if these have any type of benefit for someone with my type of spend.  It doesn't seem like it unless I am missing something. 

Ah, the value for the first year would be the 60K TY points earned for the initial spend.  After the first year, if the value propositions isn't there, one can either (1) close the card, or (2) PC to the non fee version.

Message 26 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

thank you points aren't the most cash friendly program. for me, chase wins that with UR.

thank you points are 1:1 for some gift cards, mortgage and student loans. that's about it for cash. you'll be better off with a doublecash card though.
Message 27 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is little value if you are redeeming for cash/gift cards/etc, as like you said, you're talking about 2% on a few categories and 3% on gas, and most of the "cash out" options don't net you a full cent per point (and even when they do, it's still no better than a 2% cash card, except for on gas, but you also have the AF to take into account).

The Thank You Premier etc cards are meant for travel and travel redemptions. Anything else gets you a poor value. If you want to use the points for cash, you should select a different card. A Double Cash with 2% pure cash across the board, plus no fee, will be a better bet in that situation.

Even with Chase, yes UR points convert to cash at full value but there is little point in paying $95 for CSP if you are just taking the points for cash. You're paying $95 for 2% on dining and travel when you can get 2% with a double cash across the board, if you're just redeeming for cash anyway.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.