Re: Comprehensive list of American Express credit cards

There is a macy's amex that could be added to the list Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 57
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@nixforfun wrote:

There is a macy's amex that could be added to the list Smiley Happy

The Macy's AMEX is not issued by Centurion Bank.  It is issued by DSNB, a subsidiary of Citibank, NA.
Message 12 of 57
HiLine
Blogger

If there aren't too many discontinued Amex cards I probably will add them to the list. The Mercedes Benz is a credit card; the Mercedes Benz Platinum is a charge card. Asiana Airlines, Dillard and Macy's are not issued by Amex, like many have pointed out. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 57
HiLine
Blogger

And before someone asks, the Fidelity American Express card is not issued by American Express either, and so doesn't enjoy American Express membership benefits.

Message 14 of 57
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

And before someone asks, the Fidelity American Express card is not issued by American Express either, and so doesn't enjoy American Express membership benefits.

I never realized the amount of confusion that exists between what's an "Amex" and "co-branded Amex."

Message 15 of 57
HiLine
Blogger

Were you referring to the Fidelity American Express card? This card is not even co-branded. An example of a co-branded card is the American Express Starwood Preferred Guest, or Amex SPG. This card is issued and administered by American Express; the only thing Starwood is the rewards.

On the other hand, the Fidelity American Express card is issued and administered by Bank of America and offers Fidelity rewards. Amex plays the same role as Visa and Mastercard for cards like this, i.e, payment processing network. 

Message 16 of 57
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I, too am surprised that there is so much confusion. Imagine what non- myFICO people think?
Message 17 of 57
Open123
Super Contributor

Meant "co-branded" as a card by an issuer other than Amex that uses the Amex network.  

Though SPG, Hilton and Delta are all "co-branded," I've always just thought of them as "Amex cards"

Message 18 of 57
HiLine
Blogger

I think calling cards that simply go through Amex's payment network "Amex co-branded" is giving Amex too much credit, pun intended. You may as well call any Visa card a Visa co-branded card to be fair.

It's confusing because Amex operates both a credit granting bank and a payment processing network under the same brand; in reality these are separate divisions. It's the same for Discover. 

Message 19 of 57
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I think calling cards that simply go through Amex's payment network "Amex co-branded" is giving Amex too much credit, pun intended. You may as well call any Visa card a Visa co-branded card to be fair.

It's confusing because Amex operates both a credit granting bank and a payment processing network under the same brand; in reality these are separate divisions. It's the same for Discover. 

When it comes to my bank cards, I don't even mention the payment network.  For example, my Chase card is my CSP, and not my CSP Visa; my Citi TY is my Citi TY, not Citi Visa.  My Amex is my Amex.

I use SPG, CSP, or Arrival to differentiate rewards card, but it's never occured to me to name the network.  

But, for some reason, those with BofA, USAA, or Citi that run on the Amex network always use "BofA Amex" or "USAA Amex."

Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.