Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confession.....

tag
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Confession.....

Thanks everyone!! Your rsponses make me feel good about this, I dont want to get in debt I want out of debt so for now Im fine with these 2 cards which I will take care of..

Again thanks everybody appreciate the support.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 41 of 49
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

I did something really bad with my CCs you guys are going to flip out on me I can just imagine while Im typing this but I think it was for my own good...... well here it goes.....

I closed my Express, Buckle, Bloomingdales, Sony, and Capital One QS One credit cards.

For some reason I don't feel comfortable writing on this forum without spilling the soup and telling you guys..........

I KNOW IT WAS A BAD/STUPID IDEA. since that just lowered UTL and decreased my score.....but I had to, I simply dont need these cards and I will end buying stuff I dont need at all which will acumulate debt.

On the brightside I only have Macy's and Wells Fargo with balances, and these cards Im keeping for simple reasons I shop at Macy's(the actual reason why I should have a store card, since I shop there alot), and Wells Fargo because it was my first CC, and I bank with them. My next card is a AMEX Charge card  that way I have to pay the balance in full when I use the card.

There I feel better, now for the responses 

You did what was best for you. My only question is whether you tried to PC your QS1 before you closed it? Just curious.

I just got QS1 so it wouldn't of happened.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Message 42 of 49
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

I did the same thing, I closed Cap one QS, buckle, VS, King Size, J Crew, Express and Brylane Homes. VitaCost was closed for me ha!! lol and all in one month. I only used the Cap One card and they would never give me a CLI so I closed it also. I never used these cards and it was stupid for me to open them up in the first place, yes it hurt my scores but they are coming back now. You did a smart thing for your overall credit health. 

Message 43 of 49
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Also if it makes you feel better, I've closed the Wells Fargo college card, the Chevron and Texaco CC, Fingerhut, Target RED card and the Old Navy store card, all cards I foolishly went on an app spree for back in April that I was so happy to get rid of. A lot of those I closed back in August.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 44 of 49
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Woah seems Im not alone I didn't think many closed their CCs, I thought they SD them instead, well something less to worry for me. Again thanks everyone,.

Message 45 of 49
sjt
Senior Contributor

I commend you for doing what you had to do to keep from getting in more debt. Your score will go up when you pay down your Macys and Wells Card.

Let me tell when I was your age I was too stupid and kept on getting card and raking up debt. I had to learn the hard and painful way.

FYI- Bankrate has some really good credit card payoff calculators that can be very helpful in paying down debt.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 46 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

I commend you for doing what you had to do to keep from getting in more debt. Your score will go up when you pay down your Macys and Wells Card.

Let me tell when I was your age I was too stupid and kept on getting card and raking up debt. I had to learn the hard and painful way.

FYI- Bankrate has some really good credit card payoff calculators that can be very helpful in paying down debt.

+1

I wised up later in life myself and finally got a basic rewards card for every day use that I swore not to carry a balance on, then cut up my card with the balance, set it to auto pay as much as I could safely afford and forgot about it.

For me, this worked.

As my overall util drops, I will be looking to weed out some of my less used cards now that I have a much more robust CC profile.

Message 47 of 49
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

I did something really bad with my CCs you guys are going to flip out on me I can just imagine while Im typing this but I think it was for my own good...... well here it goes.....

I closed my Express, Buckle, Bloomingdales, Sony, and Capital One QS One credit cards.

For some reason I don't feel comfortable writing on this forum without spilling the soup and telling you guys..........

I KNOW IT WAS A BAD/STUPID IDEA. since that just lowered UTL and decreased my score.....but I had to, I simply dont need these cards and I will end buying stuff I dont need at all which will acumulate debt.

On the brightside I only have Macy's and Wells Fargo with balances, and these cards Im keeping for simple reasons I shop at Macy's(the actual reason why I should have a store card, since I shop there alot), and Wells Fargo because it was my first CC, and I bank with them. My next card is a AMEX Charge card  that way I have to pay the balance in full when I use the card.

I thought you included those cards in your family's group bankruptcy.

Message 48 of 49
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

At the risk of stepping over boundaries, I'd suggest S/D Macy's (the store, not just the card) and going thrift-shopping for a while. I do like Macy's and do shop there, but my neighborhood Goodwill did fill a lot of my wardrobe. 

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.