Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirming Amex soft pull if declined for existing cardmember

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Confirming Amex soft pull if declined for existing cardmember

I have been trying to apply for the Amex HHonors Surpass for the last 5 days. I'm an existing Zync cardholder and have been trying to go through the web site. For the first few days, I just got a spinning blue circle after entering my security code on front of card. Called, told the problem was my card. They overnighted a new one. Same problem. Called again. Told it is a system issue with no ETA. Tried today, can't even get the blue circle- just an error message. At each point, I'm told that the best thing would be to apply by phone. BUT...

I thought I'd read that if I apply by phone, it will be a hard pull regardless, but that if I apply online, it will only be a hard pull if accepted. Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to apply now before some new TLs post and my AAoA shrinks. But I won't if it means a hard pull for decline.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Confirming Amex soft pull if declined for existing cardmember

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I have been trying to apply for the Amex HHonors Surpass for the last 5 days. I'm an existing Zync cardholder and have been trying to go through the web site. For the first few days, I just got a spinning blue circle after entering my security code on front of card. Called, told the problem was my card. They overnighted a new one. Same problem. Called again. Told it is a system issue with no ETA. Tried today, can't even get the blue circle- just an error message. At each point, I'm told that the best thing would be to apply by phone. BUT...

I thought I'd read that if I apply by phone, it will be a hard pull regardless, but that if I apply online, it will only be a hard pull if accepted. Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to apply now before some new TLs post and my AAoA shrinks. But I won't if it means a hard pull for decline.

I'm pretty sure that it's a soft pull for decline regardless of whether you app by phone or online.    I've only done on~line apps so I can't confirm for certain though.

Have you tried applying with a different browser ?    I've seen that problem before, and if I recall I just switched to another browser and it worked fine.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I've tried 5 computers, 4 different browsers, 3 operating systems and 4 different internet access points. The last conversation was a 3 way between myself, general rep and someone from computer svcs who stated the issue was due to ongoing upgrade of the "member experience" on the web site and was a known issue they were working on. I'm hoping someone who has applied by phone can confirm, as it is sometimes difficult to separate the things people post here as facts from actual, um, facts.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear. I applied for Amex Hilton HHonors card two weeks ago. I didn't have any problem applying online. Have you tried applying over the phone?

Ron.

Message 4 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Sorry to hear. I applied for Amex Hilton HHonors card two weeks ago. I didn't have any problem applying online. Have you tried applying over the phone?

Ron.

I haven't applied by phone because I read somewhere that it would then be a hard pull if declined. If that isn't the case, I'll gladly apply by phone, but really don't want to until I can confirm.

Message 5 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Have you tried to apply without sign in?

Ron.

Message 6 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Yes. When I enter my info, I get "this offer has expired, click here to be taken to the current offer", which takes me to where I was. It repeats endlessly. That is why I'm so desperate to hear from anyone who has applied by phone and gotten a soft pull. I'm so frustrated with the online application process, but I think there is a good chance of rejection and really want to avoid the hard pull if I can. Is there anyone out there who has applied by phone and been declined?

Message 7 of 8
stefanc
Regular Contributor

I applied for one of the Blue's by phone a few months back (might be up to 6 or so???). anyway - no hard pull on the decline (or soft pull for that matter on that day). So for me it looks as if they checked the internal database using a previous soft...

This again was months ago, but no hard pull from a phone app decline for me -- YMMV

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.