Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused? HELP!!

tag
TULO30
Contributor

Confused? HELP!!

I have scores of 703 Equifax, 693 Experian, 699 Transunion.  I have one cc with a high balance (6K).  I am paying it down. 

I applied for AMEX Blue & Discover Motiva. I was approved for the Discover card with a cl of 10K.

But, AMEX denied me. Smiley Mad They pulled CR from Experian only and listed the following reasons for the denial:

Reason #1 - Unsatisfied account 90+days past due with a balance of $200 greater than one year.
Reason #2 - Account 90+ days past due in the last two years.

I pulled my credit report and disputed Reason #2 with the CRA.  Reason #2 was removed from the CRA. I could not find reason #1 on my report.

After Reason #2 was removed from the CRA. I submitted a letter to AMEX requesting they reconsider.  I indicated in the letter that the information they pulled was WRONG and had been corrected by the CRA.

AMEX sent me the exact same freaking letter that they sent me the first time I applied...with the EXACT SAME FREAKING RESPONSE!!!  AND there is no contact information on the letter or anything! UGH!!!  I know they pulled my report from Experian again because there is an inquiry on my report.  But, again, I can't find Reason #1 on my report and Reason #2 has been corrected with the CRA.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Should I request for a second time that they reconsider my request for an AMEX blue?  How can I go about calling someone if there is not a phone number listened on the letter I received?  I appreciate the advice!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused? HELP!!

if you call the regular number, try asking for someone in new accounts, maybe they can help you.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find that Amed dosen't really do recons.  I appd a while ago and got the samereasns, had it corrected and used the option to send the corrected report via the experian dispute resolution.  called and never heard another word. Did you see  sacond pull?  If not they are going off the first report which seems the norm for them.

Message Edited by Brammy on 11-29-2007 10:53 PM

Message Edited by Brammy on 11-29-2007 10:53 PM
Message 3 of 16
TULO30
Contributor

Brammy, I think you are right.  I guess I will wait until my scores are up in the 700s....720+ and apply again.  In the meantime I can pay down the one credit card I have with a 6K balance....

Interesting that they gave you the exact same reasons...I wonder if it is a standard letter that has very little to do with your actual credit history...oh well...
Message 4 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't know how amex does it and what reports they get... but my father has been going through HUGE problems with amex and them saying bad things are on his report, and they reduce his cl. We get the credit report FROM Myfico. and it's blank for baddies, amex says fax us that prove, we do, they send letter saying we are sticking by our decision based on your credit!!!

no one can answer where they are getting this information from and why we can't see it!

you have good scores... just bypass amex, if it's just the amex you want, get it through Bank of America or something!
Message 5 of 16
TULO30
Contributor

Thanks CA!  It sounds like your dad is getting a similar run around from AMEX. I simply wanted the card...that is all there is to it.  I don't get why Discover would approve but AMEX would deny?  It is very strange...I did not know Bank of America offered an AMEX.  I will have to check it out.  Thanks!
Message 6 of 16
TULO30
Contributor

I just wanted to share insight that I now have regarding the denial of my AMEX application.  Keep in mind that my scores are 703 Equifax, 693 Experian, 699 Transunion.

I contacted AMEX to find out why I was denied the AMEX blue card.  I was told because of late payments.  I advised the AMEX rep that there have been no late payments on my CR since 2003 - it will be exactly 5 years ago in March 2008 since my last late payment.

I was advised that AMEX decided that the lates that I had in 2003 made me ineligible to receive an AMEX card.

When I spoke to the AMEX rep I tried to solicit some advice regarding when I could expect that the 2003 lates would not count against me.  I told the rep that I have several credit cards and absolutely no late payments in almost 5 years.  The rep said there is no rhyme or reason so to speak. 

He said that the AMEX card I applied for (Blue) is a much more difficult card to get than the AMEX green and I should apply for the green or the gold because my score is good enough.  I was hesitant, but I said okay.  So, he transferred me to another AMEX rep who took my information for an application on the green card.  The application was denied immediately.

I will more than likely have to wait 7 years until the lates that I had in 2003 drop off my CR.  When I had those lates in 2003 I was in job transition and just hit a rough spot.  I thought I had bounced back...I guess not!  It is still surprising though...because I know of others with lower scores than mine who have received AMEX cards.

Anyway, just food for thought for anyone who is interested.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So basically they are using ol reports.  some have had luck with the Sky Miles and then converting to Blue
Message 8 of 16
TULO30
Contributor

Well, they did pull my current cr, but they reviewed everything on the report and there were some lates in 2003.  I just did not think they would consider that data because it is almost 5 years old....and, I have a Discover Motiva so I felt that the AMEX was within my reach...obviously AMEX and Discover have different criterion.

Weird, but the whole thing has me feeling like I have bad credit.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if your heart is set on a card.  I would try for the Delta Skymils.  People with morerecent lates and lower scores have been approved.  Where the lates 90 days or greater?  If so, hold off. they look at those like a BK
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.