Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Amex Delta interest :-(

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Confused about Amex Delta interest :-(

So I didn't pay my first statement balance of $535 in full by the "due date"
It was due the 23rd, I paid $75 right after it cut thenpaid the rest on the 25th.
I got charged $6+ interest. I called and asked, they said it was because I didn't pay in full by the due date. (Every other card I have doesn't charge interest as long as I pay by the time the statement closes!)
So this month, I was sure to pay the statement balance in full well before the 23rd. Pay $75 right after it cut, then paid the remaining $465. On the 19th, then made another payment in full for this month's charges of 311.25 on the 25th. That got me to a zero balance.
I get my Amex Delta Gold bill this morning. I got charges $14 in interest!!!
I paid IN FULL and even all of this month's charges!
I don't want to call and hassle Amex, and realize my "ADB" was prob $500-1000 but I paid in full.
Upon further analysis, I don't even see a grace period in Amex's T&Cs for this account...
Does it not even have a grace period?
I am so confused. I hate paying unnecessary interest. If I'm going to get charged interest, I may as well have not paid it in full. I don't want to call Amex either. This is worrisome.

Any ideas?
You folks are the best!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: Confused about Amex Delta interest :-(

No grace period might be the culprit in your situation.
No grace period = BIGGEST caveat I have against the AMEX Delta cards Smiley Sad

My Wells Fargo cash back card gives me a 25 day grace period AFTER my statement closes, and NO INTEREST is charged during that time which essentially gives me a 2 month interest-free loan.
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 7
genmic
Established Member

There is a grace period (from T & C's for Amex Delta):

"Your due date is at least 25 days after the close of each billing period. We will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month. We will begin charging interest on cash advances and balance transfers on the transaction date."

The grace period is the 25 days you have to pay your balance before you will be charged interest. This ony applies when you pay your balance in full every month; if you did not pay your balance in full the previous month, you are charged interest on every purchase right away (you forfeit the grace period). This is pretty standard I think for most credit cards, except sub-prime cards like CreditOne which do not have any grace period at all.

Message 3 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

My T&C for Delta, which I got in June, didn't say anything about a 25 day grace period.

I paid my last two statement balances in full.

Either way, I got an Online Chat Rep to credit my the last $4.53 I was charged.

Im irritated because I wanted my Amex Delta to report with a $0 balance for my FICO score. :-( lol oh well.

And yeah, my other creditors won't charge me interest any time my balance is at zero, including GECRB. GECRB is really good about not charging interest regardless, as long as you pay before the statement cuts. They are really the only other creditor that I worry about interest with.

Sometimes I'll even make charges right after the statement cutting date, then wait til a new statement cuts.. and basically get a full two months out of it. Seems that Amex, like most people say, is not a card to revolve a balance with. haha even though I didn't techincally revolve a balance.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 7
genmic
Established Member

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

My T&C for Delta, which I got in June, didn't say anything about a 25 day grace period.

Just FYI, it may not say the words "grace period" but if you didn't have a grace period you would be charged interest for every billing cycle where you had purchases, regardless if you PIF previous month. You would be charged interest from the transaction date.

Message 5 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

You were charged interests because you carried balances from last month, simply because you paid after due date. The new charges brought up the average daily balance, and you paid the new balances down over time, which meant you still had some lingering balances from the old cycle.

Since you paid in full this month, you shouldn't be charged any cycle next month.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 7
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
You were charged interests because you carried balances from last month, simply because you paid after due date. The new charges brought up the average daily balance, and you paid the new balances down over time, which meant you still had some lingering balances from the old cycle.

Since you paid in full this month, you shouldn't be charged any cycle next month.

+1 After seeing this thread I went on Amex's website to check and it did say that there was a 25 day grace period.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.