Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Amex Membership Rewards advantages

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about Amex Membership Rewards advantages

So I looked on the membership rewards site for Amex and it seems that for all gift cards and such membership rewards points are valued at $0.50. I'm trying to understand how that can possibly be a worthwhile rewards program when cards like Blue Cash give 1.5% and 5%. Do these points have a greater cash equivalent value when used for other things like airlines and hotels? Even if the points earned with the charge cards do translate to 1 mile with FF programs, it still seems like a worse deal than the cash back. Furthermore, is there any situation in which the points earned with Blue (which I understand can't be used for FF programs) would make that card better than the Blue Cash?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused about Amex Membership Rewards advantages

Said membership rewards are equivalent to $.50 but should have said $.005 or 1/2%.
Message 2 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ChaoticKinesis wrote:
So I looked on the membership rewards site for Amex and it seems that for all gift cards and such membership rewards points are valued at $0.50. I'm trying to understand how that can possibly be a worthwhile rewards program when cards like Blue Cash give 1.5% and 5%. Do these points have a greater cash equivalent value when used for other things like airlines and hotels? Even if the points earned with the charge cards do translate to 1 mile with FF programs, it still seems like a worse deal than the cash back. Furthermore, is there any situation in which the points earned with Blue (which I understand can't be used for FF programs) would make that card better than the Blue Cash?

Not too sure what you are describing here. I use my Gold Rewards Plus card and earn 2 points for every $1 spent with Amex partnered companies. Most of the other cards are 1 to 1.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the points to purchase gift certificates worth $50 would require 10,000 points, making their actual value 1/2% in this instance. I'm not sure about how much points are worth in other travel programs but as an example with the Cap1 miles program 25,000 pts. gets you a ticket worth up to $250, giving them an equivalent value of up to 1%.
Message 4 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I'll check their web site right now!
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Ok I see what you are saying. It's doesn't look like good deals. I'll just keep using my points for FF miles where I am getting a whale of a deal.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.