Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Blueprint

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Confused about Blueprint

I got my Chase Freedom card about a month ago and when I called to activate it, I was told about the Blueprint program and the csr signed me up for it. I really don't understand it. My cl is only 500.00 and I will be pif each month. But it is showing something about how I signed up for full pay for the 3 categories I chose. I plan to pif but I don't want to be held to that if I need to split a payment into two. I am thinking about canceling blueprint if I can. Please help me understand it.....thanks!!

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Confused about Blueprint

@snowkitty wrote:

I got my Chase Freedom card about a month ago and when I called to activate it, I was told about the Blueprint program and the csr signed me up for it. I really don't understand it. My cl is only 500.00 and I will be pif each month. But it is showing something about how I signed up for full pay for the 3 categories I chose. I plan to pif but I don't want to be held to that if I need to split a payment into two. I am thinking about canceling blueprint if I can. Please help me understand it.....thanks!!

Blueprint is simply a tool to use to manage payments for Chase products.  You can use it or not use it, it's your choice.  There's no obligation to use it if you sign up for it.  It's just there if you need it.  As your account grows, you may see a use for it.  Right now, you'll probably not need it, as you stated you intend to PIF with your account.  I also PIF for my Sapphire Preferred and JP Morgan Select, but I also like to have that option IF I need it. 

Message 2 of 8
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

It also confuses me. LOL I always PIF.
Message 3 of 8
snowkitty
Established Contributor

It was showing only signed up for the full pay and not the split pay or other options. With such a low credit limit and me really wanting to be in Chase's good graces, I do always plan to pif. It just freaked me out a bit because I don't want to be held to that IF something was to come up. I will just ignore it until I need it someday. I don't know why if confuses me so much...lol Cat Frustrated

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 4 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

It is only useful for people who carry a balance. What it lets you do is choose which purchases you want to pay off, instead the payment going to the entire balance. Say you have a balance transfer at 5% and reulgar purchases at 10%, you can choose if you want to pay off part of the balance transfer or part of the regular purchases. Maybe you want to buy a computer a carry the balance, but you still want to buy groceries and such. You can choose to pay the groceries off and keep the computer balance. It is really useless in that instance, because if they have the same interest it does not matter.

I do not have it but was looking into it because I thought it let you choose 0% on purchases, but that is not the case. Anyway, looking at reviews, many people said that once you sign up there is no way to get out of it.

Message 5 of 8
Omri
New Contributor

I have completely ignored Blueprint (I've had Freedom for just over 2 years), until recently I learned about the "Track It" section. I look at that to see if, for example, my WalMart is coded as a grocery store or not. But that's all I use Blueprint for.

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 6 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

This is from the Chase website under Blueprint FAQ.  For the specific question "Can a plan be removed from my account?"

Blueprint is designed to help you manage your spending and borrowing on your card. The plans are set up for you to use as a guide.

We encourage you to make your full Blueprint payment to stay on track with your plans to ensure they remain on your account. If you can't make your plan payments, or your account is placed in default or closed, then your plan may be removed from your account. There is no fee associated with a Blueprint plan being removed from your account.

Full Pay — If your account is in default or you do not consistently make your Full Pay payment, the plan will be removed from your account. It will no longer appear on your statement, and any remaining balance associated with the plan will move back into your regular purchase balance.

Split and Finish It — If your account is in default or you do not consistently make your plan payments, the plan will be removed from your account. It will no longer appear on your statement, and any remaining balance associated with the plan will move back into your regular balance.

And for the question "Am I required to make my Blueprint payment?", here's what Chase has to say about that:

You're only required to make your account's Minimum Payment required by the due date.

However, we do encourage you to make your full Blueprint payment to stay on track with your Blueprint plans and to ensure they remain on your account. If you can't make your plan payments, or your account is placed in default or closed, then your plan may be removed from your account. However, there is no fee associated with a Blueprint plan being removed from your account.

Hope this info helps!

Message 7 of 8
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

In simple terms....

Blueprint is completely free. It's just a program you can use to help you set up a date to pay off your balance when you want to. You don't have to use it. Blueprint is also included on your statements to help you stay on track with your pay off period. The only thing you need to pay is your minimum if you are carrying a balance. Your blueprint payment will always be higher. But it's free and you can totally ignore it.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.