Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Travel Rewards Card

tag
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Confused about Travel Rewards Card

Hey all,

While I intend to be gardening for at least the next six months, my next big card is going to be a travel rewards card. And I'm trying to understand the differences between the cards. 

I'm looking at:

1. Chase Sapphire Preferred (40,000 points when you spend $3k in 3 months)

2. Barclay Arrival World Elite Mastercard (40,000 miles when you spend $3k in 3 months)

3. Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles (50,000 miles when you spend $1k in 3 months)

So my questions are:

Why do some use points and some use miles? The 40,000 points from CSP appears to be equivalent to a $500 credit for travel. And it appears that although Barclay calls it miles, the actual redemption value is 1cent/mile, which appears pretty misleading at first? Because it appears that 1 mile is worth far more than 1 cent.

Does the Delta card actually mean 40,000 miles? Or does it also just mean a ~$400 credit?

So do all miles actually just mean 1 cent? Or is there a card that actually means miles? My apologies if this is a dumb question or if it's been asked before, but any clarification would be appreciate. Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Confused about Travel Rewards Card

@mikelo22 wrote:

Hey all,

While I intend to be gardening for at least the next six months, my next big card is going to be a travel rewards card. And I'm trying to understand the differences between the cards. 

I'm looking at:

2. Barclay Arrival World Elite Mastercard (40,000 miles when you spend $3k in 3 months)

So my questions are:

Why do some use points and some use miles? The 40,000 points from CSP appears to be equivalent to a $500 credit for travel. And it appears that although Barclay calls it miles, the actual redemption value is 1cent/mile, which appears pretty misleading at first? Because it appears that 1 mile is worth far more than 1 cent.

Does the Delta card actually mean 40,000 miles? Or does it also just mean a ~$400 credit?

So do all miles actually just mean 1 cent? Or is there a card that actually means miles? My apologies if this is a dumb question or if it's been asked before, but any clarification would be appreciate. Thanks!

CSP usus UR points , which can be transfered to airline partners at values better than 1:1 you probably can get close to 1 cent: 2point ratio. With both delta and CSP you have to look where you are traveling their are mileage calculators online and at their sites. I am probably doing an poor job at describing what you can do, there was an post an while ago that is probably better at explaining it. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Guide-to-travel-cards/m-p/2918668

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 11
vpae
Established Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking at:

So my questions are:

Just know that miles, points, simoleons, they don't really mean anything. Each rewards program has their own word but it's all valued differently depending on how you earn and use it. As mongstradamus said, CSP depends on who you transfer points to, or if you book directly through Chase UR Travel. Barclay is for redeeming towards statement credit on Travel items (to get the 10% miles back), and while I'm not familiar with Delta, you can check online to see how much 1 mile is worth. It all varies, so do you have a preferred travel airline/partner? Destination that you always go to? or are you more open? That will help determine what is better for you when it comes to redeeming your points/miles.

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 3 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@vpae wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking at:

So my questions are:

Just know that miles, points, simoleons, they don't really mean anything. Each rewards program has their own word but it's all valued differently depending on how you earn and use it. As mongstradamus said, CSP depends on who you transfer points to, or if you book directly through Chase UR Travel. Barclay is for redeeming towards statement credit on Travel items (to get the 10% miles back), and while I'm not familiar with Delta, you can check online to see how much 1 mile is worth. It all varies, so do you have a preferred travel airline/partner? Destination that you always go to? or are you more open? That will help determine what is better for you when it comes to redeeming your points/miles.

Do you think you have enough cards in your signature? Smiley Wink

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@vpae wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking at:

So my questions are:

Do you think you have enough cards in your signature? Smiley Wink

That looks small compared to Creditaddict Smiley Tongue

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking at:

So my questions are:

Face Value 40,000 points is worth $400 dollars at min. these points as above poster said it can be worth 1 point = .02 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 6 of 11
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Ok, thanks that clears some things up a lot of my confusion then. And I would be using it more for international travel, particularly western europe. I've never had a 'go-to' airline; I just go with whats cheapest/most convenient. Extra benefits like First class upgrade, etc are not important to me.

And thanks for the link to that guide. I was looking for something like that!

Message 7 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

Ok, thanks that clears some things up a lot of my confusion then. And I would be using it more for international travel, particularly western europe. I've never had a 'go-to' airline; I just go with whats cheapest/most convenient. Extra benefits like First class upgrade, etc are not important to me.

And thanks for the link to that guide. I was looking for something like that!

you probably can get from nyc to london for 40-60k points, b ut you have to be wary of the fuel surcharges that certain airlines charge like Virgin atlantic and British airways. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

CSP usus UR points , which can be transfered to airline partners at values better than 1:1 you probably can get close to 1 cent: 2point ratio. 

And you can probably even get close to a 1point = 2c ratio, which is 4x better!

Message 9 of 11
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Just to clarify, miles are just another name for points. I've never seen a card that says that you can travel the amount of miles you have for free or anything...

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.