cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about low initial credit limit.

tag
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Re: Confused about low initial credit limit.

@adozark wrote:

They pulled Ex which I only have a FAKO for, but I called and asked about the reason why the credit limit was so low, she really just told me "it's automated, I don't know", but told me my credit score was "perfect"  I'm not sure if that's just her, but when I asked what it was, she said they couldn't tell me for "security reasons".  Seemed weird, but I hope it is included with my card when it arrives. 

That is typical, they can't tell you the score over the phone,  I have had them tell me it was between   this.........and............this.  Yes, the score they used will be on the letter.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 11 of 16
adozark
Established Member

@Blackrv7 wrote:

@adozark wrote:

They pulled Ex which I only have a FAKO for, but I called and asked about the reason why the credit limit was so low, she really just told me "it's automated, I don't know", but told me my credit score was "perfect"  I'm not sure if that's just her, but when I asked what it was, she said they couldn't tell me for "security reasons".  Seemed weird, but I hope it is included with my card when it arrives. 

That is typical, they can't tell you the score over the phone,  I have had them tell me it was between   this.........and............this.  Yes, the score they used will be on the letter.

Awesome. I love that it will also save me the $20 of paying for the score. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ: 657
Current Score: EQ: 740 3/05/14 TU: 721 2/08/14 EX FAKO: 763 3/05/14
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Barclay (Apple) $4k -- Chase Freedom $7k -- Chase Slate 4k -- GE Banana Republic $3k -- GE Care Credit $9k -- BCP $1k -- UFCU 6k
Message 12 of 16
recordaras
Valued Member

Hmm, I'm actually not sure about the score - I've never received a score from Amex (or Chase), but maybe that's just my luck.

BoA Secured $500 (closed) | OneStopPlus $900 | Chase Amazon $4600 (AU) | Amex BCE $6000 |
Chase Freedom $3000 | BoA TravelRewards Signature Visa $5000 | CSP $17 000 | BCP $27 000
Building credit since 04/2011 | CreditKarma 763 | CreditSesame 795 | Gardening since 01/31/2014
Message 13 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@adozark wrote:

I currently have a 35% utilization 

As always, it; not just about scores.  Utilization can have an impact.  AmEx generally isn't a fan of balance carrying.  Next time, app when your utilization is optimized.  At this point you just need to put in the time and effort for the 3x CLI.

@adozark wrote:

I just was a little suprised with such a low limit when I've gotten the impression that Amex is a little more loose with credit than Chase. 

Not in my experience.  I have $32K in limits with AmEx and about $60K in limits with Chase.  YMMV but be very careflu relying on generaliztions.

Message 14 of 16
flan
Regular Contributor

@recordaras wrote:

Hmm, I'm actually not sure about the score - I've never received a score from Amex (or Chase), but maybe that's just my luck.

You'll get a score if you do not get the best terms on offer for the card.  That's interest rate and intro period rate; credit limits dont' enter into it at all.  If you get the best rate (or there is only one rate offered) neither Chase nor Amex will tell you the score.  Some other lenders may tell everyone the score, but the legal requirement is only for people who dont' get the best terms.

Message 15 of 16
recordaras
Valued Member

@flan wrote:

You'll get a score if you do not get the best terms on offer for the card.  That's interest rate and intro period rate; credit limits dont' enter into it at all.  If you get the best rate (or there is only one rate offered) neither Chase nor Amex will tell you the score.  Some other lenders may tell everyone the score, but the legal requirement is only for people who dont' get the best terms.

Thank you for the clarification! I didn't know that that was the case, and was always wondering why people kept mentioning getting scores from Chase/Amex.

BoA Secured $500 (closed) | OneStopPlus $900 | Chase Amazon $4600 (AU) | Amex BCE $6000 |
Chase Freedom $3000 | BoA TravelRewards Signature Visa $5000 | CSP $17 000 | BCP $27 000
Building credit since 04/2011 | CreditKarma 763 | CreditSesame 795 | Gardening since 01/31/2014
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.