Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about miles

tag
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Confused about miles

I don't understand the miles cc's. One card of mine says I have 10,054 miles. Does that mean I can fly around the world?   Smiley Surprised   Any help would be appreciated.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Confused about miles

If only it worked that way.  But what card you referring to?  I have a Venture from CapOne that earns "miles" but it's no more than a 2% cash back card with a $59 annual fee...oh, and they can only be used for travel related purchases to take advantage of the full 2%.

Message 2 of 5
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

When you go to redeem your miles it will tell you how many you need for that trip.  This varies by company, time of travel, location of travel, and how many beatings the airline has done.  

If you want to travel to UK one way during the slow season it will take maybe 30,000 miles, while it will take 12,500 to travel to LA from Seattle.  In the peak season it might take 75,000 miles to go to the UK and 30,000 to LA.  If you choose the option of coach plus it will be greater, business class even more, super business class even more than that, and if you choose the fight club section the winner travels for free.

Remember different airlines have different use amounts.  With the points you have now you can possible do a one-way domestic trip within the continent if your airline has a 10,000 mile minimum use.  You should never use miles to do a one way portion of a round trip as the return airfare will be as much or more than a round trip.  If you want to do a multi-segment trip then it woul all be booked as individual flights, unless you are creative.  I might be flying to China in a few weeks and I there is an option for an overnight layover in Rome, having never been to Rome I can check it out and see if it is worth a full trip.  Alternately, I can do an overnight layover in London, which would be cool.  If you very creative you can even get 2 overnight layovers in different cities, even in the US where you could get to check them out and still end up at your destination with a nice amount of time to vacation there.  Think of it as an air cruise.  I do.  Last time I flew I got to spend the night in Hong Kong to visit a friend and visit friends in Chicago for a day.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@TiggerDat wrote:

When you go to redeem your miles it will tell you how many you need for that trip.  This varies by company, time of travel, location of travel, and how many beatings the airline has done.  

If you want to travel to UK one way during the slow season it will take maybe 30,000 miles, while it will take 12,500 to travel to LA from Seattle.  In the peak season it might take 75,000 miles to go to the UK and 30,000 to LA.  If you choose the option of coach plus it will be greater, business class even more, super business class even more than that, and if you choose the fight club section the winner travels for free.

Remember different airlines have different use amounts.  With the points you have now you can possible do a one-way domestic trip within the continent if your airline has a 10,000 mile minimum use.  You should never use miles to do a one way portion of a round trip as the return airfare will be as much or more than a round trip.  If you want to do a multi-segment trip then it woul all be booked as individual flights, unless you are creative.  I might be flying to China in a few weeks and I there is an option for an overnight layover in Rome, having never been to Rome I can check it out and see if it is worth a full trip.  Alternately, I can do an overnight layover in London, which would be cool.  If you very creative you can even get 2 overnight layovers in different cities, even in the US where you could get to check them out and still end up at your destination with a nice amount of time to vacation there.  Think of it as an air cruise.  I do.  Last time I flew I got to spend the night in Hong Kong to visit a friend and visit friends in Chicago for a day.

Unless the OP is talking about a true airline card then a lot of this doesn't apply.  Some companies like I mentioned above (CapOne) call it miles when it really isn't.  And 30,000 "miles" with CapOne is only worth $300 in travel which doesn't get your very far these days.  Until the OP chimes in and states what card he's referring to then there really isn't a way to answer his/her question completely. 

From the OP's signature, the only card that I can see him/her referring to in "miles" is the BOA Travel Rewards which only earns 1.5 "miles" (term used loosely) /$1 which is nothing but a 1.5% cash back card without an annual fee.  So if he/she has 10k miles on the Travel Rewards then that's only worth about a $100 bucks in travel expense. 

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think historically, "miles were so called because you earned one per mile flown (with bonus for premium cabin etc) But even then, one mile didn't allow you to FLY one mile, it took 40K off peak to fly the 6k round trip to the UK. So all airline miles get transformed to different values depending on award chosen.

The fake miles from Venture etc have only a fixed cash value
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.