Confused and Ticked Off! at Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused and Ticked Off! at Amex

@Anonymous wrote:
Now, isn't this interesting?

Look at the first two reasons in Uncle_Money's decline letter:

What's the difference between those two reasons?  This just gets weirder and weirder.

OOOOHHH!!!

OK, this is getting very... weird, indeed. Maybe they just mean that they look at hard pulls but won't blame you if you've had a credit check from, say, the local energy company or mobile phone company harding you unnecessarily, as they're 'kind of' applications for credit, but also kind of... not?!
Message 31 of 39
Scamp
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Now, isn't this interesting?

Look at the first two reasons in Uncle_Money's decline letter:

What's the difference between those two reasons?  This just gets weirder and weirder.

OOOOHHH!!!

OK, this is getting very... weird, indeed. Maybe they just mean that they look at hard pulls but won't blame you if you've had a credit check from, say, the local energy company or mobile phone company harding you unnecessarily, as they're 'kind of' applications for credit, but also kind of... not?!

They denied my 60-day mini-anny CLI request on my Blue - denial letter stated (among some other things):

Too many recent credit checks.

They pulled TU, which had only ONE hard inq on it, from April of this year.  I'm a CreditSecure subscriber who pulls daily.

Dunno what's up, but SOMEthing sure seems fishy... Smiley Mad

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 32 of 39
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Well the first two are exactly the same thing, but so are the last two.  I think their automated system is just dumb.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 39
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Hey all, I'd just like to chime in and back up Watchmann. Although I haven't had to undergo a FR and haven't had many major problems with AmEx as of yet, people need to stop being such babies about this. You can't get a CLI on your credit card. Odds are you didn't even need one in the first place and it's only to get a lower util. Besides, even with the occassional odd event, I'd take AmEx over any other credit card company any day (Except Discover. They're both equally great in my book, though for different reasons).

The punchline is, stop complaining. It's unsecured credit and for every $1,000 in a CLI they offer you, that's another $1,000 they might potentially have to charge off. And granted you may not have deserved to be declined, but like Watchmann said, it's a two-way street. Suck it up and deal with it. They're a great company and I'm happy with their products and services way more often than I'm dissatisfied. Okay people? GET OVER IT!
Message 34 of 39
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

thrasher865 wrote:
Well the first two are exactly the same thing, but so are the last two.  I think their automated system is just dumb.

I noticed that as well.  Looks more like reptition than illegality to me.

And don't forget, they see 2 years worth of hard pulls, even if they are no longer altering your score after one year
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

thrasher865 wrote:

I noticed that as well.  Looks more like reptition than illegality to me.

And don't forget, they see 2 years worth of hard pulls, even if they are no longer altering your score after one year

Yes, but when the reason says "last six months," you would think they would only be referring to those inquiries from, well, the last six months.

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-30-2008 06:17 AM
Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaybird201 wrote:
Hey all, I'd just like to chime in and back up Watchmann. Although I haven't had to undergo a FR and haven't had many major problems with AmEx as of yet, people need to stop being such babies about this. You can't get a CLI on your credit card. Odds are you didn't even need one in the first place and it's only to get a lower util. Besides, even with the occassional odd event, I'd take AmEx over any other credit card company any day (Except Discover. They're both equally great in my book, though for different reasons).

The punchline is, stop complaining. It's unsecured credit and for every $1,000 in a CLI they offer you, that's another $1,000 they might potentially have to charge off. And granted you may not have deserved to be declined, but like Watchmann said, it's a two-way street. Suck it up and deal with it. They're a great company and I'm happy with their products and services way more often than I'm dissatisfied. Okay people? GET OVER IT!

jaybird,

You may express whatever opinion you would like to.  Please do not, however, tell other posters they are acting like babies.

Just a reminder to be friendly and supportive.  It is fine to comment on other posts, but a characterization like the one you made above borders on name calling and is a bit out of line.

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-30-2008 06:21 AM
Message 37 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is kind of a strange bank. I've never been denied for any of their cards. Yet I get fairly low limits on the credit cards(around 5k to start every time) But with my Gold and it seems esp My Plum biz card I can Charge up large amounts no questions asked. If i call first I was told that if i have $$ in the bank Amex will approve me for charges over 100K on the biz card. Yet They keep the CC's so low. Theres just no understanding these people.
Message 38 of 39
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

I'm leaning this way also.
Here we go again...
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.