Reply
Valued Contributor
Crashem
Posts: 3,098
Registered: ‎01-26-2012

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?


CreditScholar wrote:

navigatethis12 wrote:

Usually small banks with a few branches do not have credit cards, or they outsource it to another issuer like Elan, FIA(not anymore), First Bankcard, or others. So the bank isn't actually the one offering the card if that is the case.


+1. Small banks simply don't have the financial firepower to offer really good credit cards, as it's simply too capital intensive. This is usually why the best cards are offered by the largest banks.

 

However some under-rated cards that are worth a mention are:

 

1. Fidelity Amex

2. PenFed Travel Rewards and Platinum cards


Those are good.  Also, for low interest rate cards, you should shoot for 7ish% APR or lower.  There are several CUs/banks offering rates like that.  For example, I have 30k card with local credit union, SF Fire, for 7.24% and basically with no fees (BT, Cash Advance, annual, etc) with your basic 1% rewards.  SDFCU (State Department Federal Credit Union) offers one at 6.99% with the same 1% rewards.

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Valued Contributor
Crashem
Posts: 3,098
Registered: ‎01-26-2012

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?

Oh yeah.  Let's not forget JCP Marauki Premium card with up to 3% rewards.

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar
Posts: 2,300
Registered: ‎01-22-2012

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?


Crashem wrote:

Oh yeah.  Let's not forget JCP Marauki Premium card with up to 3% rewards.


+1. I forgot that one!

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Valued Contributor
thom02099
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎08-30-2011

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?


Tuxedo77 wrote:
Any non Citi, Chase, Amex etc., banks that have good credit products? Just out of curiosity.....

If you want to see credit cards from just about any issuer, check this out: 

 

http://www.indexcreditcards.com/creditcardlist.html

 

Includes the "big boys", the Regionals, and lots of smaller issuers.  Some of the links are not up-to-date, however. 

AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 768 EQ = 828 TU = 834 - June/2014
Established Contributor
JonStur
Posts: 902
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?


thom02099 wrote:

Tuxedo77 wrote:
Any non Citi, Chase, Amex etc., banks that have good credit products? Just out of curiosity.....

If you want to see credit cards from just about any issuer, check this out: 

 

http://www.indexcreditcards.com/creditcardlist.html

 

Includes the "big boys", the Regionals, and lots of smaller issuers.  Some of the links are not up-to-date, however. 


+1. Great resource. Or if the OP is looking for a small bank or CU, use the good ole' Yellow Pages, that's how we old timers looked up things before the Googles and Internets came along. Find something local or regional, as most smaller players probably don't advertise outside of their adjacent geographical area...


Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Valued Contributor
takeshi74
Posts: 2,329
Registered: ‎06-05-2013

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?

[ Edited ]

Tuxedo77 wrote:

Meaning small banks with 4 to 5 branches. A friend of mine got on with a local bank here in SoCal called Farmer's and merchants bank and he got $7K with 9% APR......something like that. :smileyhappy:


Are APR's all that matter?  Don't just assume that your notion of "good" is universal.  Clearly state what you're looking for.  Many here place a lower priority on APR since they PIF.  Consider the commonly discussed credit unions and other institutions.

Valued Contributor
thom02099
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎08-30-2011

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?


JonStur wrote:

thom02099 wrote:

Tuxedo77 wrote:
Any non Citi, Chase, Amex etc., banks that have good credit products? Just out of curiosity.....

If you want to see credit cards from just about any issuer, check this out: 

 

http://www.indexcreditcards.com/creditcardlist.html

 

Includes the "big boys", the Regionals, and lots of smaller issuers.  Some of the links are not up-to-date, however. 


+1. Great resource. Or if the OP is looking for a small bank or CU, use the good ole' Yellow Pages, that's how we old timers looked up things before the Googles and Internets came along. Find something local or regional, as most smaller players probably don't advertise outside of their adjacent geographical area...


LOL, mine still get worn out each year when I get a new one!  Betting there's some "youngsters" here who have no idea what they are...or how to use 'em ! !

AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 768 EQ = 828 TU = 834 - June/2014
Valued Contributor
Themanwhocan
Posts: 1,326
Registered: ‎04-04-2013

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?


thom02099 wrote:

Tuxedo77 wrote:
Any non Citi, Chase, Amex etc., banks that have good credit products? Just out of curiosity.....

If you want to see credit cards from just about any issuer, check this out: 

 

http://www.indexcreditcards.com/creditcardlist.html

 

Includes the "big boys", the Regionals, and lots of smaller issuers.  Some of the links are not up-to-date, however. 


Nice web site. I see there is a Discover It for students that gives a $20 cashback bonus. I wonder what else there is to find on that site...


Frequent Contributor
Odiseous
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎03-08-2011

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?


thom02099 wrote:

JonStur wrote:

thom02099 wrote:

Tuxedo77 wrote:
Any non Citi, Chase, Amex etc., banks that have good credit products? Just out of curiosity.....

If you want to see credit cards from just about any issuer, check this out: 

 

http://www.indexcreditcards.com/creditcardlist.html

 

Includes the "big boys", the Regionals, and lots of smaller issuers.  Some of the links are not up-to-date, however. 


+1. Great resource. Or if the OP is looking for a small bank or CU, use the good ole' Yellow Pages, that's how we old timers looked up things before the Googles and Internets came along. Find something local or regional, as most smaller players probably don't advertise outside of their adjacent geographical area...


LOL, mine still get worn out each year when I get a new one!  Betting there's some "youngsters" here who have no idea what they are...or how to use 'em ! !


These are tinder, for the fireplace, right? :smileywink:

 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar
Posts: 2,300
Registered: ‎01-22-2012

Re: Consensus on lesser known banks?


Odiseous wrote:

thom02099 wrote:

JonStur wrote:

thom02099 wrote:

Tuxedo77 wrote:
Any non Citi, Chase, Amex etc., banks that have good credit products? Just out of curiosity.....

If you want to see credit cards from just about any issuer, check this out: 

 

http://www.indexcreditcards.com/creditcardlist.html

 

Includes the "big boys", the Regionals, and lots of smaller issuers.  Some of the links are not up-to-date, however. 


+1. Great resource. Or if the OP is looking for a small bank or CU, use the good ole' Yellow Pages, that's how we old timers looked up things before the Googles and Internets came along. Find something local or regional, as most smaller players probably don't advertise outside of their adjacent geographical area...


LOL, mine still get worn out each year when I get a new one!  Betting there's some "youngsters" here who have no idea what they are...or how to use 'em ! !


These are tinder, for the fireplace, right? :smileywink:

 


Nope, it's what you used when the toilet paper ran out. :smileyhappy:

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+