cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consequences of pre-qualification checks?

tag
thecheese
Established Member

Consequences of pre-qualification checks?

I'm in the midst of cleaning a few things up on my credit in prep for an app spree (mostly just waiting for a balance payoff or two to report at this point). I know there are some links to card pre-qualification forms for various banks/cards that don't result in an HP. Is there a downside to using these just to get a peek at what I may or may not currently qualify for? If I end up only pre-qualifying for some stuff I'm not even remotely interested in will that have some affect on a "real" app not too long from now as far as something they might reference? Obviously not in terms of inqueries but in terms of them seeing "he recently pre-qualified for X dinky card, now he's applying for Y awesome card. No way". I've waited this long to app, I can wait until it's all squared away. I was just curious. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Consequences of pre-qualification checks?

nope no downside at all. some lenders, such as citi, may also send in physical copies of those pre-approvals if you are pre-approved, so you might get quite a bit of spam mail. that's bout it. there's no negative effect at all whatsoever other than that.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

as far as i'm concerned, knock yourself out Smiley Happy i don't think places such as cardmatch or various bank prequalification sites would do any harm in your future apps Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Right, if you use a bank pre-qual site, that issuer knows you applied (hence the spam people get, especially from Citi) but there is nothing on your credit report that anyone else can see.  So the scenario of "ultra-prime" lender turning you down because you pre-qual'd with a lower-level issuer can't happen.

Message 4 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Checking occasionally isn't likely a problem; as some have used it as a app addiction substitute and literally pushing it once a day sometimes, think that gives a lender the wrong impression frankly.

Anything you do online there's a record somewhere, and when it comes to interacting with any financial institution one has to assume they will use that record somehow.  Infinite time and space and all... some lender has already done it.

        
Message 5 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Checking occasionally isn't likely a problem; as some have used it as a app addiction substitute and literally pushing it once a day sometimes, think that gives a lender the wrong impression frankly.

Anything you do online there's a record somewhere, and when it comes to interacting with any financial institution one has to assume they will use that record somehow.  Infinite time and space and all... some lender has already done it.

Maybe, or maybe not.   From the spamming that happens, it seems at least in some cases it's marketing that is notified when you prequal, and they are happy for any interest in their product.   So, in the absence of evidence that it one day counts against you, I would not consider this a real issue.

Message 6 of 9
brother7
Established Contributor

I see that Chase has a pre-qual area. I've always wondered if I pre-qualify for a CSP. #tempting

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 7 of 9
thecheese
Established Member

Thanks for the responses! I ended up checking a few pre-approvals and Chase was the only one that could give me an answer. Capital One and Discover both said they couldn't find any records for me. Of those 3 I already have an account with Chase so I'm guessing that's why.

Message 8 of 9
Startome
Regular Contributor

Hey check my recent post about Capital one, it may interest you. In summary (it's a short post anyway lol) by doing a pre-qual you can get an offer where they would normally deny you.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.