Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Closing/Consolidating cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering Closing/Consolidating cards

I've been thinking about thinning out the CC's of mine. After only having 2 major CC's for years that were maxed out and never applied for cards, after they were paid off I went crazy with opening new ones in 2015. I actually already did close a few of them that I know I didn't need, but still have too many. I have $119k total credit and 1% usage across all cards. Many of my cards have 0% APR intro offers. Those cards I am not touching, in fact looking ahead I think each year I will get a 0% APR intro offer card if available.

Right now I have a PayPal Extras card that is by far my highest APR card at 19.9% and a $5k CL. It was opened in April 2015. This is a card that is first on the chopping block. Will I do any damage to my credit score short- or long-term by closing this and reducing my total credit limit down to $114k and also less than a year from opening it? I have the PayPal Credit which is a $2k limit, and a hidden TL, so I have a great backup for any rare occasion I purchase something on eBay or need to PayPal some money for important things like $10 on my DraftKings Smiley Happy

My other card I'm considering getting rid of, believe it or not, is my SM WMC. The perks for this card include gas purchases and grocery store purchases. I use my BJ's Perks MC for gas locally and get 10 cents off per gallon. My DW does the grocery shopping so this card really doesn't get much use, plus there's a lot of great unknowns about the SM right now. The APR on this card is 13.9% which isn't bad and I have a $9k limit on it. What I think I'm going to do is contact Barclay's and see if I can move that $9k over to the Ring, which is a 8% card with no real perks besides great APR. I've only had this card since July, so again less than one year. 

Eliminating those two cards will put me down to 10 cards (including Lowes/HD cards). After my INQs from my app spree's i 2015 reach a year old (most in March and April), then I will consider an introductory 0% APR card. I keep getting PNC Bank offers for a 18 month 0% card and after that will be 11.9%. It's not a rewards card, but my QS and Discover are my two main reward ones. 

I have a Capital One Platinum card that is my oldest TL opened in 2001. Many times I thought about consolidating that with my QS, but had to wait until the end of October for it to be 6 months old. Well, they have put a stop to consolidating for now. I've always wrestled with the idea that in 10 years that card would stop reporting and it would be a 30 year old card, and my other cards I acquired in 2015 would just be 10 years old and my AAoA would take a big hit. Of course, I'll be 65 years old in 10 years so does it really matter? Smiley Happy

Other cards not getting much use are my AMEX Blue Cash and Chase Freedom, however they have 0% introductory APRs which means I'd keep them for a while longer anyway. They're mostly SD but probably going to use Chase Freedom for a Christmas purchase for DW that I can drag my feet on PIF since the 0% offer runs to July 2016.

Thoughts? 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Considering Closing/Consolidating cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been thinking about thinning out the CC's of mine. After only having 2 major CC's for years that were maxed out and never applied for cards, after they were paid off I went crazy with opening new ones in 2015. I actually already did close a few of them that I know I didn't need, but still have too many. I have $119k total credit and 1% usage across all cards. Many of my cards have 0% APR intro offers. Those cards I am not touching, in fact looking ahead I think each year I will get a 0% APR intro offer card if available.

Right now I have a PayPal Extras card that is by far my highest APR card at 19.9% and a $5k CL. It was opened in April 2015. This is a card that is first on the chopping block. Will I do any damage to my credit score short- or long-term by closing this and reducing my total credit limit down to $114k and also less than a year from opening it? I have the PayPal Credit which is a $2k limit, and a hidden TL, so I have a great backup for any rare occasion I purchase something on eBay or need to PayPal some money for important things like $10 on my DraftKings Smiley Happy

My other card I'm considering getting rid of, believe it or not, is my SM WMC. The perks for this card include gas purchases and grocery store purchases. I use my BJ's Perks MC for gas locally and get 10 cents off per gallon. My DW does the grocery shopping so this card really doesn't get much use, plus there's a lot of great unknowns about the SM right now. The APR on this card is 13.9% which isn't bad and I have a $9k limit on it. What I think I'm going to do is contact Barclay's and see if I can move that $9k over to the Ring, which is a 8% card with no real perks besides great APR. I've only had this card since July, so again less than one year. 

Eliminating those two cards will put me down to 10 cards (including Lowes/HD cards). After my INQs from my app spree's i 2015 reach a year old (most in March and April), then I will consider an introductory 0% APR card. I keep getting PNC Bank offers for a 18 month 0% card and after that will be 11.9%. It's not a rewards card, but my QS and Discover are my two main reward ones. 

I have a Capital One Platinum card that is my oldest TL opened in 2001. Many times I thought about consolidating that with my QS, but had to wait until the end of October for it to be 6 months old. Well, they have put a stop to consolidating for now. I've always wrestled with the idea that in 10 years that card would stop reporting and it would be a 30 year old card, and my other cards I acquired in 2015 would just be 10 years old and my AAoA would take a big hit. Of course, I'll be 65 years old in 10 years so does it really matter? Smiley Happy

Other cards not getting much use are my AMEX Blue Cash and Chase Freedom, however they have 0% introductory APRs which means I'd keep them for a while longer anyway. They're mostly SD but probably going to use Chase Freedom for a Christmas purchase for DW that I can drag my feet on PIF since the 0% offer runs to July 2016.

Thoughts? 

Just my thoughts. I know others will have helpful thoughts. I really like the idea of ten cards. I manage mine daily, but at some point in a year or two I will consider doing what you are doing. It will matter less to me to let some cards go when it is time because of my Chapter 13 in 2008. My cards at the time either were included or closed by the grantee for inactivity. Ten years is a good age for cards to have good scores. That would not be a concern for me. I want to do some combining of my BofA cards, but will wait until they are all a year old.

It sounds like you have made a sound evaluation of which cards you use and for what purpose. I also like the idea of adding a card in a year to have the zero interest. Personally, I like your plan. Good luck to you. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It sounds like a good plan. If something isnt serving you much purpose, then close it and move on. You seem to know what will work best for you. Paring down can be a good thing. Its hard to get meaningful rewards spreading spend across many cards.

Closing younger accounts can look bad on review but it can also be explained. I wouldnt worry overly much about the implications of closing an account in that sense. None of us are credit analysts or can prove that it would even significantly matter. Your util is low so thats not an issue. I wouldnt fret too much over closing whatever you want to close. 

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Musiclover and KDM - thank you both for your replies and comments. I believe by the end of the weekend those two cards will be out of my CC collection.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope to wind up with anywhere between 3-5 cards, at least with 5 I could use one card as a daily driver and rotate the others quarterly as needed.  Or maybe a few occassional use store cards (Wally and Amazon) would bump that number up a little. 

Message 5 of 24
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

i would close them if they are not going to grow or if the card has an AF and you are not using it. Just keep in mind if the TL of those cards are positive, your scores will drop a little bit. 

I had about 24 accounts, closed all but 7 over the L3 years. My scores took a hit but I kept the ones I regularly use as I have 1-2 new cards with bonuses on my radar. I am not worried because I know the scores will rebound.

Good luck! 

Message 6 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thoughts? 

I say... let them be.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thoughts? 

I say... let them be.

Bull.  If you aren't using them, get rid of them.  

Message 8 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't get why people push keeping cards just to keep them in most cases. If your util is high and closing the cards would make that significantly worse, then fine, that's a reason to keep them. But if a card really, truly has no use for you, it's unlikely that it suddenly will. There's little point in keeping it.

Obviously OP should weigh the decision carefully especially with the Sallie since it is not available to reapply for, but it sounds like the grocery and gas spend is covered elsewhere, which is the same issue I had when I had a Sallie -- it just didn't do much for me. I think closing the cards OP mentioned is a totally reasonable idea.

Message 9 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@OP.. Simplification is good and I plan on doing the same as I hate having alot of card, rather have less cards with big limits that cover mainly everything..  My plan is.

6 Cards is my ideal goal @ 30k each.  This will take approximately 2 more years(tops) to complete; could do this within a year possibly as well.  It will consist of

Freedom 30k / CSP 30k / SM30k(this is going to be the tougher one, granted it is capped rewards, just want it to be high limit) / Amex ED 30k / CITI DC OR FID AMEX 30k / Cap1 QS card 30k (reliable)  / Amex Platinum(not counting this as this is used for benefits).  Then 86 the other cards.  Then obtain 2 or 3 cards a year for signup bonuses then get rid of them after a year.  6 cards @ that limit makes utilization not an issue and still cover all bases of spending currently.   That is what appears to work for me, each is different.  This gives me diversification across 5 different lenders as well

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.