Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Closing/Consolidating cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Considering Closing/Consolidating cards

@kdm31091 wrote:
Right, but sitting on an unused, useless card in the hopes the company will release a better product and let you PC is a gamble and far from guaranteed. Yes the dividend double cash scenario is an example but more an exception than a rule.

At the end of the day, like everything, it just comes down to preference, needs and wants. No right or wrong answer.

When you're talking about no AF cards, is it really a gamble? Do you really lose anything if the bank never issues anything better down the line? The worst that will happen is that you have an extra old, albeit useless account that buttresses your AAOA.

Message 21 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Certainly not really a gamble in that you don't lose anything, but more just a chance the issuer wont release anything interesting for one to PC to. Also PC policies vary and its never a given right to even be able to do it.

Anyway, thats kind of a tangent. I think we've all done the "should I close no AF cards" debate enough times. OP is happy with their decisions it seems, which at the end of the day is what matters. Have a good night.
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Certainly not really a gamble in that you don't lose anything, but more just a chance the issuer wont release anything interesting for one to PC to. Also PC policies vary and its never a given right to even be able to do it.

Anyway, thats kind of a tangent. I think we've all done the "should I close no AF cards" debate enough times. OP is happy with their decisions it seems, which at the end of the day is what matters. Have a good night.

I didn't realize I was going to open up a can of worms. I think everyone has different goals/needs/wants and should do with them as they think is right for their situation. For me, I was sort of on the fence about things, but instead of wasting $9k in CL, but not using the card, I moved the balance over to the Ring card. That's a very nice 8% APR card with no AF. I really didn't give a hoot going forward what Barclay might replace the SM with. If it's something good, then I'll apply for it and if the SL is low, then I know Barclay will let me move some around. At this point, I don't see myself getting another Barclay card honestly besides the Ring.

Message 23 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I didn't realize I was going to open up a can of worms. I think everyone has different goals/needs/wants and should do with them as they think is right for their situation. For me, I was sort of on the fence about things, but instead of wasting $9k in CL, but not using the card, I moved the balance over to the Ring card. That's a very nice 8% APR card with no AF. I really didn't give a hoot going forward what Barclay might replace the SM with. If it's something good, then I'll apply for it and if the SL is low, then I know Barclay will let me move some around. At this point, I don't see myself getting another Barclay card honestly besides the Ring.

You did what was best for you and that's what matters! Smiley Happy I'm glad you are pleased with your decisions.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.