cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering FREEZING my Credit Reports while gardening....What are the Cons/Pros?

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Considering FREEZING my Credit Reports while gardening....What are the Cons/Pros?

I always keep my reports frozen. It gives me (1) peace of mind and (2) resistance to apping.

All of my lenders (except UFCU and Chase) have given me SP CLI through the freeze. Chase has given me a couple of auto CLIs through the freeze as well. In case someone wants to do a HP when I don't want them to, freezing helps me stop them.

However, I think a couple of lenders (not sure whether Comenity or Synchrony) asks the cardholder to remove the freeze even for SP CLI. Sounds iffy to me but I don't have those cards.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Considering FREEZING my Credit Reports while gardening....What are the Cons/Pros?

Thanks for advice!
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep my reports frozen so I'm not always applying and for piece of mind for my identity. You can still receive CLIs with some banks. I found I had trouble getting increases with Synchrony while my report was frozen but as soon as I removed the freeze and requested an increase I was able to get one.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay great because I have 2 Synchrony cards that I'd like to grow via CLI. I'll keep that in mind before I ask for CLIs.
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good evening All!

I've obtained a few great credit cards while taking a peek out of the garden within the last 2-3 weeks. In total, I have about 11 inquiries and 8 new accounts for this year already. My goal is to obtain ANY AMEX available to me once my EX hits 670 and above for approval. AMEX would be my LAST card wanted for travel rewards (but of course I won't be applying for about 6-7 months around Holidays 2016). With that being said, I'd love to grow my Discover IT, Barclays, Nordstrom, Bloomongdales, Cap1 QS, etc... Will freezing all of my reports inhibit me from receiving CLI's for the goal of better scores and overall credit profile? I would love to set some boundaries for myself as apping seems to come waaay to tempting and I'm staying off of the "credit card approval forum"Smiley Mad. I abhor seeing my credit scores drop and hard inquiries addedSmiley Sad. Please help me with this decision!!!

Thanks in advance Fico Family!Smiley Happyseedling-transparent.png

Personally I think this is a good idea for many people. I'm probably gong to do it later this year. Not so much because I don't want to app,  but because of hte reasons others have pointed out. I have had an unautorized HP show up on my credit report and my fiance was promised no HP by a utility company only to have one show up. I also think it's a good idea to let your credit report rest for 2 years. 

Message 15 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Multi posts have been removed from this thread for violating our policies concerning the freezing of one CR in order to favor another CR. This is taboo on myFico and in no way is to be discussed in any forum. Thanks for your understanding on this.

Message 16 of 21
XxRaVeNxX1
Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Multi posts have been removed from this thread for violating our policies concerning the freezing of one CR in order to favor another CR. This is taboo on myFico and in no way is to be discussed in any forum. Thanks for your understanding on this.

Understood...but just so I am not ignorant in the law. Is it a violation of the FCRA to do so?

Message 17 of 21
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good evening All!

I've obtained a few great credit cards while taking a peek out of the garden within the last 2-3 weeks. In total, I have about 11 inquiries and 8 new accounts for this year already. My goal is to obtain ANY AMEX available to me once my EX hits 670 and above for approval. AMEX would be my LAST card wanted for travel rewards (but of course I won't be applying for about 6-7 months around Holidays 2016). With that being said, I'd love to grow my Discover IT, Barclays, Nordstrom, Bloomongdales, Cap1 QS, etc... Will freezing all of my reports inhibit me from receiving CLI's for the goal of better scores and overall credit profile? I would love to set some boundaries for myself as apping seems to come waaay to tempting and I'm staying off of the "credit card approval forum"Smiley Mad. I abhor seeing my credit scores drop and hard inquiries addedSmiley Sad. Please help me with this decision!!!

Thanks in advance Fico Family!Smiley Happyseedling-transparent.png

To answer your highlighted part, no, you will be able to still recieve CLI's. 

A little data point from me: I did exactly what you're asking about and it has already saved me. If you're not applying, and not going to change your mind in a month (because it could get expensive at $10 a pop), then I would freeze them. A few months back I posted a thread because I received a denial letter for car insurance that I didn't apply for. They couldn't access my report so they couldn't give the fraud insurance under my name. It's cheap insurance for fraud and ID theft.

Personal:

Business:

Message 18 of 21
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@XxRaVeNxX1 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Understood...but just so I am not ignorant in the law. Is it a violation of the FCRA to do so?

No, it is not a violation of the FCRA. The lender can decide to not extend you credit if they are not able to access a particular report that they want, that's it.

This forum prevents discussion on such tactics because it's considered gaming the system (and / or being not upfront about your credit with the bank, so there is some potential unethical behaviour). 

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DoroLucky wrote:
Looks like I've stepped in taboo waters again lol

Haha some of us cant handle the itch.  We have to scratch, and once you scratch its like you cannot stop until you've ripped your skin apart haha.  I am considering freezing my reports too at some point.  I am still working on some GW letters and one PFD and pull my reports about every other month or so, so it might not be for me right now.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.