Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Recon with Discover/Barclay

tag
littlelottie
Valued Member

Considering Recon with Discover/Barclay

Hi. I'm new to the boards and pretty new with handling credit. I'm a senior in college and just started applying for credit cards.  I've recently been able to get a card with a CL of $500 from my local credit union and lines of credit from Amazon ($400) and Paypal ($300). I applied for the Discover More Student card because I thought it would be fairly easy to get approved due to my limited credit history, mid-range scores (all in the 640 to 680 range), and because I'm a student. I was given the 30 day processing answer after I applied.  I checked the status a few days later and was told that I was denied. I also applied for Barclay's Apple financing and their Barnes and Noble card.  They also were denied due to "too few accounts with satisfactory status."  I wanted to know if anyone thought it would be wise to recon for Discover or Barclays. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Starting Score (January 2013): TU: 704, EQ: 679, EX: 687
Current Score (September 2013): TU: 741. EQ: 703, EX: 712
Goal Score: 730 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cuwhite5
Valued Member

Re: Considering Recon with Discover/Barclay

Yes, do a recon. There is no need for you to take the hits on your reports. If your credit is clean and you're able to explain some things, you may be approved. I was denied 2 times on my recons by Barclay and the 3rd time was when they approved. So go for it.

Starting Score: TU 717 EQ 701
Current Score: TU 794 EQ 760 DISCOVER MONTHLY 799 JUNE 2014) 807 TU BARCLAYCARD (JUNE2014)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cuwhite5 wrote:
Yes, do a recon. There is no need for you to take the hits on your reports. If your credit is clean and you're able to explain some things, you may be approved. I was denied 2 times on my recons by Barclay and the 3rd time was when they approved. So go for it.

+1

Always recon, always, always, always.

There is nothing for you to lose, especially with Barclay, Discover might be a little more difficult, but either way, you already took the hit, make the most of it and RECON.

Best of Luck, and keep us posted.

Message 3 of 5
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@cuwhite5 wrote:

+1

Always recon, always, always, always.

There is nothing for you to lose, especially with Barclay, Discover might be a little more difficult, but either way, you already took the hit, make the most of it and RECON.

Best of Luck, and keep us posted.

Never go down without a fight.

As mustang said, Discover might be tough but it depends who you get on the phone.

Barclay has been very good. I did a recon from $750 to $4200 and thats after talking to 4 people. I don't really take no for an answer but within reason.

Message 4 of 5
tbc
New Contributor

CS....

Your my hero, lol

Dont' go down without a fight.......

1-1-11 350's TU/EQ
MYFICO TU 656
EQUIFAX 593 TODAY
GOAL: HEAVEN
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.