Valued Member
littlelottie

Considering Recon with Discover/Barclay

Hi. I'm new to the boards and pretty new with handling credit. I'm a senior in college and just started applying for credit cards.  I've recently been able to get a card with a CL of $500 from my local credit union and lines of credit from Amazon ($400) and Paypal ($300). I applied for the Discover More Student card because I thought it would be fairly easy to get approved due to my limited credit history, mid-range scores (all in the 640 to 680 range), and because I'm a student. I was given the 30 day processing answer after I applied.  I checked the status a few days later and was told that I was denied. I also applied for Barclay's Apple financing and their Barnes and Noble card.  They also were denied due to "too few accounts with satisfactory status."  I wanted to know if anyone thought it would be wise to recon for Discover or Barclays. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Starting Score (January 2013): TU: 704, EQ: 679, EX: 687
Current Score (September 2013): TU: 741. EQ: 703, EX: 712
Goal Score: 730 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
cuwhite5

Re: Considering Recon with Discover/Barclay

Yes, do a recon. There is no need for you to take the hits on your reports. If your credit is clean and you're able to explain some things, you may be approved. I was denied 2 times on my recons by Barclay and the 3rd time was when they approved. So go for it.

Starting Score: TU 717 EQ 701
Current Score: TU 794 EQ 760 DISCOVER MONTHLY 799 JUNE 2014) 807 TU BARCLAYCARD (JUNE2014)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Valued Contributor
Mustanglvr2006

cuwhite5 wrote:
Yes, do a recon. There is no need for you to take the hits on your reports. If your credit is clean and you're able to explain some things, you may be approved. I was denied 2 times on my recons by Barclay and the 3rd time was when they approved. So go for it.

+1

Always recon, always, always, always.

There is nothing for you to lose, especially with Barclay, Discover might be a little more difficult, but either way, you already took the hit, make the most of it and RECON.

Best of Luck, and keep us posted.

Starting Score: 583
Current Score: 3-03-12-EQ-802 TU-806 EX-798 (EQ Beacon 9: 804 Lender Pull 3-08-12) All FICO's
Goal Score: 800+ across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Super Contributor
CS800

Mustanglvr2006 wrote:

cuwhite5 wrote:

+1

Always recon, always, always, always.

There is nothing for you to lose, especially with Barclay, Discover might be a little more difficult, but either way, you already took the hit, make the most of it and RECON.

Best of Luck, and keep us posted.

Never go down without a fight.

As mustang said, Discover might be tough but it depends who you get on the phone.

Barclay has been very good. I did a recon from $750 to $4200 and thats after talking to 4 people. I don't really take no for an answer but within reason.

New Contributor
tbc

CS....

Your my hero, lol

Dont' go down without a fight.......

1-1-11 350's TU/EQ
MYFICO TU 656
EQUIFAX 593 TODAY
GOAL: HEAVEN

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+