Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Sallie Mae. Opinons?

tag
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Considering Sallie Mae. Opinons?

I'm considering applying for Sallie Mae because I think it will be a great card for my wife to use for grocery shopping and Amazon for myself. 

I added ~ 9 new accounts in June including a Barclay Rewards MC

I have 6 inquiries on TU, only 4 are recent

My AAoA is 3 years

My util is ~ 4%
Income is "high"

Baddies are 4 tax liens (2 unpaid)

Last time I checked my TU Score was 692

I plan to attempt to PC my Rewards to an Arrival+ as soon as I figure out when I'm eligible to do so.

Would it be wise to apply now? Do you think this would possibly trigger AA? Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Considering Sallie Mae. Opinons?

With 9 new accounts from June I would not apply for any cards until December. Especially not for a 2nd  Barclays card ...but that is just me. Good luck if you decide to spin the " wheel of fortune "  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

With Barclay they typically want to see six months of activity on their first card before they will allow a 2nd card. I tried to get a 2nd card with them after 3 months and was denied with a 760 with the sole reason being they wanted to see more time on their first card. Was even denied trying to recon as well.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 3 of 8
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't recommend apping w/ Barclays until atleast December w/ those new accounts and inqs. My thought would be to have your wife app for it and add you as an AU. See how the $250 caps work for your family. If you're exceeding those caps, app for your own in Dec/Jan and add her as AU. That way you guys will have 5% up to $500 on Gas and Groceries and 5% up to $1500 Amazon. It gets no better!

☮ & ❤
Message 4 of 8
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@PrimeRate wrote:

I wouldn't recommend apping w/ Barclays until atleast December w/ those new accounts and inqs. My thought would be to have your wife app for it and add you as an AU. See how the $250 caps work for your family. If you're exceeding those caps, app for your own in Dec/Jan and add her as AU. That way you guys will have 5% up to $500 on Gas and Groceries and 5% up to $1500 Amazon. It gets no better!

Agreed with the dual SM approach.  For information though I did get my Sallie Mae last month with over 23 INQ's, and 6 other cards opened in 2014...Instant approval!  If you can wait I would though. 

Message 5 of 8
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

@PrimeRate wrote:

Agreed with the dual SM approach.  For information though I did get my Sallie Mae last month with over 23 INQ's, and 6 other cards opened in 2014...Instant approval!  If you can wait I would though. 

Instant approval seems to be the only way to get around a credit analyst nagging you about inquiries. Your income must've blown them away or your stats must've been pretty stellar, well done.

As for the OP, He was just approved for the MC Rewards Barclay in June. I think he is better off letting his wife app now and doubling up in December..

☮ & ❤
Message 6 of 8
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

I'll wait until dec/jan. Thanks for the advice!

Message 7 of 8
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@PrimeRate wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

@PrimeRate wrote:

Instant approval seems to be the only way to get around a credit analyst nagging you about inquiries. Your income must've blown them away or your stats must've been pretty stellar, well done.

As for the OP, He was just approved for the MC Rewards Barclay in June. I think he is better off letting his wife app now and doubling up in December..

I'm not sure either was the case...I have a BK7 from 2011, clean report since but everybody sure looks at that hard.  I only make about 60K a year so I doubt that blew them away lol.  They mentioned my relationship with them being perfect for the last two years and said congrats. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.