Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a second credit card

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Considering a second credit card

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd recommend two cards and applying in specific order.  First apply for the Citi Double Cash card, then apply for the Discover It card.  Both companies have prequal sites you can use to see if they have offers ready for you.

The Discover pre-qual site is bogus.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is king when it comes to travel cards imo. So many different options you can really go for whatever suits you best. Many on here that say you can apply for a charge account and a revolving CC under the same HP when applying for both at the same time. Something to consider...
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, that's what I'm still curious about too.

Do certain issuers se the same pull if you apply within the same day? Also should I just apply for the stringent (No, it's not the AMEX Plat/Centor heh) ones on my list first then work my way down?

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah that's what I'm curious about too. Are there certain issuers I should know about who use the same pull the same day? Also should I just work my list down from the stringent (no, I'm not leaping for the AMEX Plat/Centor heh) to the average ones?

Message 24 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've tried a couple pre-qualify links, unfortunately all have returned no matched offers (or otherwise stating I opted out).

Anyway I keep hearing the CapitalOne Quicksilver, but curious if that's a considerable option for travel too? By the way, if anyone have suggestions for ones that meet my needs/qualifications, go right ahead and post them. Again, thanks everyone for the perspective!

The Quicksilver is a good card which gives you 1 1/2% cash back on everything.

If you get the Venture card, it gives you 2% back in travel points if you want to use it for travel, or 1% back in cash if you choose cash.

Both are excellent cards IMHO.

If you apply for both you should do it the same day so that the hard pulls (Capital One usually pulls 2 or 3 bureaus), will not be duplicated.

Yes, the QS is a very good option for travel. It has no FTF, no fees, the 1.5% is straight up easy cash back, and the VISA is accepted virtually everywhere. This is a very difficult card to improve on, for average student spend levels.

And no, don't do two Capital One cards right off the bat. You only have one secured card so far. Nice score, yes, but limited history still. Sure, you might get two Capital One cards for a set of 3 HP, but with Capital One, you are better served in the long run by getting a first card, showing good usage for 6 months to a year, and then, if you decide you need another card, applying for another card like Venture where you will see a much larger credit limit. The Venture is a VISA Signature card, meaning it must have a starting limit of $5k. It seems unlikely you would get two CapOne cards on first apps for $7k or more. It may happen, but if it were me, and the marginal difference between QS and Venture is so very small, I'd stick with just the QS for now and use that.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed on some places about the Citi Premier or Citi Prestige. Does anyone have a feel for that (approval odds, customer services, etc)?

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.