Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a second credit card

tag
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Considering a second credit card

I would pick a couple of cards with rewards that match your spending and pull the trigger
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll make a list of which cards I'm interested in and pull the trigger. I guess I'm just a little conservative with the applicatons because of the hard inquiries that might rack up (my record is pretty much clear of those right now).

Message 12 of 26
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll make a list of which cards I'm interested in and pull the trigger. I guess I'm just a little conservative with the applicatons because of the hard inquiries that might rack up (my record is pretty much clear of those right now).

There is nothing wrong with being a little conservative with your apps, I think it makes you spend more time researching cards and ending up with only cards that are useful for you instead of a bunch of cards you will be either leaving in the SD or closing.

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got 2 new cards in the last couple months and plan to wait a big before getting any more. Your credit rating does take a hit for inquiries, but by limiting your new accounts to a couple a year, you never lose too many points and you can get them back without much difficulty by simply paying the new cards on time.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd recommend two cards and applying in specific order.  First apply for the Citi Double Cash card, then apply for the Discover It card.  Both companies have prequal sites you can use to see if they have offers ready for you.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd recommend two cards and applying in specific order.  First apply for the Citi Double Cash card, then apply for the Discover It card.  Both companies have prequal sites you can use to see if they have offers ready for you.

But you can still apply for a card and get it without prequalifying.  Just so you know it's not a requirement.

Message 16 of 26
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My dog could get prequalified on discover's site so I wouldn't put much weight on anything that comes up there.....

Citi has a reasonably reliable prequal site though

Message 17 of 26
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Agreed ^ I put "kitchen" and social as 9999 and it came up
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplz wrote:
Agreed ^ I put "kitchen" and social as 9999 and it came up

Fret not, as Discover's system is a bit tricky.  Without a great deal of experience and knowledge it's possible to miss the modis operandi.  Discover's system is one of assume approval.  Unless they have a reason not to approve you, they present an offer.  In your example you input ficticious information that would result in a SP failure or absence from a mass credit review sweep from the CRA's.  No info means no reason not to approve, so an offer was presented.

Using real data results in one of 3 possibilities.  Either there's no offer, you receive a standard offer, or you receive a better than standard offer.  Lets review each of these possibilities together.  If there's no offer that would indicate there was something about your profile that caused Discover to conclude they likely wouldn't approve you.  You're not going to know when they reviewed you for offers so you would need to review your credit profile to determine why.  You could have had a collection, missed payment, over limit reporting, or other such potentially negative information that is now gone.  Or perhaps last time you looked your profile was clean and now it's not.  Either way, a lack of an offer is a key sign.

If you got the standard offer there was no reason for Discover not to provide one.  This could be they reviewed you and it fit with their minimum requirements for approval.  It could mean they have no record of you so why not give you an offer?

If you get something better than the standard offer you're almost certainly guaranteed approval.  This would indicate they've reviewed you at some point and found you to be worthy of something better than the standard offer to entice you to join.  Of course if you've missed a payment or some other negative info has been added to your report since you were reviewed you could be declined.

Not all lenders position from one of assuming approval.  As with all credit info YMMV.

Message 19 of 26
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Research the Discover IT 5% category spend. If they meet \match your needs, go for it. With Discovers current promotion, they could turn into 10%! You can't beat that! Who else is offering 10%? No one!

However, as mentioned before, ignore the pre qualifier. Its garbage. If you find that Discover categories meet your needs, just straight out apply for it. I absolutely favor my Discover IT, and it's my daily driver!

Wish you a great credit future.

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.