Reply
Contributor
armyguy90
Posts: 77
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
0

Considering an App Spree

I am set to close on my first house in 6 days and Im wanting to do some home improvements and buy new furniture. I have been thinking about applying for a Lowes or Home Depot card to get the updated appliances I want, and Id rather do an app spree and get some new cards or credit limits instead of spreading the apps out. Heres my current info:

 

Transunion: 689 Equifax: 661

No late payments in 3 years 7 months

A few charge offs from 4 years ago

Roughly 4 inquiries on both accounts in last 6 months (most are from mortgage apps)

 

OPEN ACCOUNTS:

NFCU Rewards Card 8500limit

Kays 2600 limit

Fiirst Premier 300 limit

A Personal Loan from NFCU

 

Overall Util: 3%

 

Income: $46000

 

Im thinking of applying for a CLI on my NFCU card and a new cashrewards card, and the Home Depot card. Would anyone else recomend another card based on my scores/info? Im looking for something that will start with a high limit and continue to grow with me. Ive heard Chase will CLD you if they see anything they dont like, which makes me hesitant to go with them, but IDK. Any advice or opinions on what Home Depot may give me, or NFCU, or other cards I should try for would be greatly appreciated!

 

 

 

Contributor
armyguy90
Posts: 77
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
0

Re: Considering an App Spree

Bump... anyone

Senior Contributor
bichonmom
Posts: 3,318
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: Considering an App Spree


armyguy90 wrote:

I am set to close on my first house in 6 days and Im wanting to do some home improvements and buy new furniture. I have been thinking about applying for a Lowes or Home Depot card to get the updated appliances I want, and Id rather do an app spree and get some new cards or credit limits instead of spreading the apps out. Heres my current info:

 

Transunion: 689 Equifax: 661

No late payments in 3 years 7 months

A few charge offs from 4 years ago

Roughly 4 inquiries on both accounts in last 6 months (most are from mortgage apps)

 

OPEN ACCOUNTS:

NFCU Rewards Card 8500limit

Kays 2600 limit

Fiirst Premier 300 limit

A Personal Loan from NFCU

 

Overall Util: 3%

 

Income: $46000

 

Im thinking of applying for a CLI on my NFCU card and a new cashrewards card, and the Home Depot card. Would anyone else recomend another card based on my scores/info? Im looking for something that will start with a high limit and continue to grow with me. Ive heard Chase will CLD you if they see anything they dont like, which makes me hesitant to go with them, but IDK. Any advice or opinions on what Home Depot may give me, or NFCU, or other cards I should try for would be greatly appreciated!

 

 

 


If you know you're going to be financing a purchase (instead of PIF), I'd look for a 0% intro offer. I did lots of research online before deciding on Citi Dividend Platinum. You could CLI your Navy, which will help your util. But any purchases you don't PIF w/have interest. IMO, you're far better off shopping around for a 0% card that meets your overall credit goals and needs (e.g. rewards structure, bank you like, etc.)

 

Also, keep in mind that the more cards you get, the lower your AAoA and FICO w/drop. So, if you can accomplish what you want with just one new CC, you'll be better off.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Valued Contributor
rootpooty
Posts: 1,772
Registered: ‎10-28-2011
0

Re: Considering an App Spree

It depends on whether your going to PIF the appliances or revolve the balances over time.  As mentioned Id look for some zero percent intros.  Whats your APR on your navy card now?  

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Regular Contributor
mr_postman
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎01-17-2008
0

Re: Considering an App Spree

LUV button from navyfed:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
scientifics
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎05-01-2010
0

Re: Considering an App Spree

+1 to those above. What are you going to used the cards for? What do your balances look like currently? Do you normally PIF?

Contributor
armyguy90
Posts: 77
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
0

Re: Considering an App Spree

I would berevolving the balances for probably 6-12 months. Currently I have less than $400 in balances on all cards, like I said about 3% util.

Senior Contributor
bichonmom
Posts: 3,318
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: Considering an App Spree


armyguy90 wrote:

I would berevolving the balances for probably 6-12 months. Currently I have less than $400 in balances on all cards, like I said about 3% util.


well, you don't want to pay interest if you can avoid it. So, I'd look for a 0% offer on a cc that has features you like.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Moderator
Shogun
Posts: 12,952
Registered: ‎04-15-2011
0

Re: Considering an App Spree


bichonmom wrote:

armyguy90 wrote:

I would berevolving the balances for probably 6-12 months. Currently I have less than $400 in balances on all cards, like I said about 3% util.


well, you don't want to pay interest if you can avoid it. So, I'd look for a 0% offer on a cc that has features you like.


+1


Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}