cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering departing from the garden momentarily? (Updated WooHoo!)

tag
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Considering departing from the garden momentarily? (Updated WooHoo!)

OK, so I'll be staying in a Sheraton four 4 nights in early Feb.  I signed up for SPG (program) and in my confirmation email they sent me an offer for AMEX SPG. Obviously, I'm tempted by the bonus 25,000 points.  So here is my history with AMEX:

--AU on my wife's Gold Card opened 1/2012

--Opened my BCE account in 4/2012 (10,000 CL)

Here's my other pertinent info:

--last app 10/29/2012 (also newest acct), appoved for Chase MRP 5K Visa Sig

--most recent scores are listed in sig

I was going to wait for any new AMEX apps until I had a year on my BCE (not sure why, just seemed reasonable). Originally was only going to apply for the No AF Hilton HHonors.  I dont stay in Hiltons or Sheratons (Starwood) but about once/twice a year each (Marriot is typically better suited to my needs and I'm a guest 60+ days per year).  The Starwood's AF is somewhat offset by the ability to tranfer to mile, but again I'm not a frequent flyer (2-3 round trips a year).  Is it worth stepping out of the garden for a few.  What are my chances given my limited history with AMEX?  Would I be able to get the card backdated to 4/2012 if approved?

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Considering departing from the garden momentarily?

Your card would be backdated to 1/12
If you don't use sheraton a lot I'm not sure its worth it other than the value of transferring starpoints for the sign up bonus. Otherwise you could get the card and the bonus and PC the card after a year to something you might use more.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 16
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

$65 AF's not bad and it's waive the first year.  You think approval is likely with my short time with AMEX (if that were the only consideration)?

Message 3 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

What has your spending pattern been on the gold and BCE? I think you are in line for an approval... I usually don't agree with apping just for the sign up bonus but the PC policy with amex is very conducive to getting a card and changing it later if you think you can use another revolver from amex.
FICO 9:

Message 4 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

If you do a lot of restaurants and rental cars I suggest PC to Blue Sky Preferred if you decide to get SPG.
FICO 9:

Message 5 of 16
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
What has your spending pattern been on the gold and BCE? I think you are in line for an approval... I usually don't agree with apping just for the sign up bonus but the PC policy with amex is very conducive to getting a card and changing it later if you think you can use another revolver from amex.

I have used the Gold very infrequently, almost none.  That said my wife has put about 10K on it in a year... so not alot of use, but paid as soon as the statement cuts.  My BCE has been used quite a bit.  I've run 16k +through it in 9 months.  Always paid shortly after statement cut, well before due date, and several times PIF.

edited for spelling

Message 6 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Approval Chances are good. Its up to you if you can see another amex revolver in your wallet long term.

I could see getting SPG with a plan to PC to BSP later on based on the usage you've described. BSP comes with a 75 AF which is completely offset by the 100 incidental airline credit you receive.
FICO 9:

Message 7 of 16
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Approval Chances are good. Its up to you if you can see another amex revolver in your wallet long term.

Yes, it won't see frequent use like my BCE, but it would be used from time to time and my help with utilization. Speaking of utilization, my wife's B of A (again I'm an AU) has a statement balance that just cut of $7000. Problem is, it's her B of A Visa Sig which doesn't report her limit, just high balance which is now $7000.  I'll be making a payment of 1500 or so on Thursday (reduction wont be reflected on CRA until next statement).  Not really getting in a hurry about PIF, I'll take 2-3 months (until 0% APR runs out).  All other cards have very low utilization or zero balances. Does this seem to present an issue, maybe something that may necessitate a recon?

Message 8 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I would go ahead and app regardless of utility. They will use the info from your last account review. Also consider that if denied it will most likely not result in a HP.
FICO 9:

Message 9 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

+1

Go ahead and app for it.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.